Id pleease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-1095089481.jpg

image-1759075844.jpg

(please id pleco. And btw that's my blood parrot cichlid in the background..she's in the process of changing colors. She's still pretty young i think)

image-3031325718.jpg

How old? Since you need an id, I'm assuming it wasn't labeled as to which species at the pet store? That makes me assume common....make sure you have the room for between 12 and 24 inches of fish if it is. :) If it's really young, it could be a bristlenose, though.

KaylNeko said:
How old? Since you need an id, I'm assuming it wasn't labeled as to which species at the pet store? That makes me assume common....make sure you have the room for between 12 and 24 inches of fish if it is. :) If it's really young, it could be a bristlenose, though.

Yeah I just got him :) i think he's pretty young tho.

What size tank? Commons are waste machines, and their poop gets everywhere. I would rehome if tank is smaller than 75. Also he is using part of your bio load, that could be used for some cooler fish.

To be honest, I saw a full grown (I think) pleco in a 125 gallon and it still looked a little cramped. It was almost the entire height of the tank from mouth to tail, and bulky. It worked, but I definitely got an good idea why a lot of folks consider them pond fish.

cichlid.greenhorn said:
What size tank? Commons are waste machines, and their poop gets everywhere. I would rehome if tank is smaller than 75. Also he is using part of your bio load, that could be used for some cooler fish.

He's about 5 inches now i think. And i have a 29 gallon, but I plan on getting larger ones when they start getting too big for it. And i like plecos...to me they are cool.

KaylNeko said:
To be honest, I saw a full grown (I think) pleco in a 125 gallon and it still looked a little cramped. It was almost the entire height of the tank from mouth to tail, and bulky. It worked, but I definitely got an good idea why a lot of folks consider them pond fish.

Woa! That's awesome! That must be over a foot then! At least two feet?? That'd be awesome to see!

in my opinion at 5inches he should be in a bigger tank already... being in a smaller tank you are stunting his growth ( body doesn't grow but organ still continue to grow)

rreekers said:
in my opinion at 5inches he should be in a bigger tank already... being in a smaller tank you are stunting his growth ( body doesn't grow but organ still continue to grow)

I didn't know that..thanks for letting me know. I knew being in a smaller tank might make them stay smaller, but i never knew their organs continued to grow. That's interesting.

smileyface9 said:
I didn't know that..thanks for letting me know. I knew being in a smaller tank might make them stay smaller, but i never knew their organs continued to grow. That's interesting.

yep! its most common in goldfish because all to often people keep them in unsubstantial conditions.

Woa! That's awesome! That must be over a foot then! At least two feet?? That'd be awesome to see!

That would have been almost 2 feet, and had to be 6 inches across. They get huge. It was pretty awesome. Definitely gave me some perspective....I'm gonna get one for the goldfish pond I plan on setting up once I have a house *lol*

KaylNeko said:
That would have been almost 2 feet, and had to be 6 inches across. They get huge. It was pretty awesome. Definitely gave me some perspective....I'm gonna get one for the goldfish pond I plan on setting up once I have a house *lol*

Lol, wow! 6 inches across. That's onebig fish!!

Back
Top Bottom