ID this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tough to get a good picture of him. And I don't know why it loads sideways

ForumRunner_20130801_181908.jpg

I'm thinking it is as well. My lfs had it labeled as a fenustratus? But I don't think that is very accurate.

I'm thinking it is as well. My lfs had it labeled as a fenustratus? But I don't think that is very accurate.

Well Fenustratus is a common trade name for Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef).

But the barring doesn't look right to be Steveni.

I see that it does have light vertical stripes, that dark horizontal stripe maybe stressed induced. The coloring and patterns on the fins look very close to the Steveni.

But yes some sort of Hap and I'm almost 100% positive it's in the Protomelas family.

I am a newbie but that looks just like protomelas(fire hap)super red empress at least that my lfs had it labeled as, on the tank as well as invoice from place they buy from. mine looks just like it. Dont know if i am right!

I also have a steveni taiwan male also same size and they look totally different

I am a newbie but that looks just like protomelas(fire hap)super red empress at least that my lfs had it labeled as, on the tank as well as invoice from place they buy from. mine looks just like it. Dont know if i am right!

Yes it's very well could be, I would lean more towards it being a Protomelas taeniolatus as well. The store labeling the fish as Fenustratus is what gave me pause and made me think it was a stressed Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef). But the more I look the picture I'm thinking Taeniolatus.

I see that it does have light vertical stripes, that dark horizontal stripe maybe stressed induced. The coloring and patterns on the fins look very close to the Steveni.

But yes some sort of Hap and I'm almost 100% positive it's in the Protomelas family.

That horizontal stripe isn't stress related. It's a dominance thing I believe, I have a rhoadesii, he is very happy in the tank, doesn't get bullied, eats like a machine, and has the same black stripe. But at my lfs in the rhoadesii tank the dominant male doesn't have the stripe. I believe that's what it is anyways. And thanks for your input, maybe someone else will care to venture an opinion.....hukit...

Also there is a taiwanee reef tank at my lfs, and he wasn't in that tank. Didn't really look similar either

My ad konings books were just brought over by my neighbor who just got in from work but signed for them while i was at work. will see if fish is in there. dam these books are heavy. Lol

Back
Top Bottom