I'd this tetra please ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffers99

Aquarium Advice Activist
He looks like he may be a flag tetra?? Anyone clarify for me please? Looks similar to a bleeding heart, but they don't have the red heart mark,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417481549.027209.jpg

I believe that is a Serpae tetra. I was planning on getting some early on in my aquarium journey but was told they are nippy and tend to harass other fish. They are really pretty though.

I have some. They were sold at Petsmart as a white finned Rosy Tetra.

I've seen the candy cane tetra and it is different.

I put three in a tank with several schools of smaller fish. They seemed a little aggressive at first but never hurt anyone and then calmed down. They like the algae wafers a lot, but if an Oto is sitting on one guarding it they don't go after the Oto. Even when a Pygmy loach tried to play by what almost looked like biting at its gills they didn't attack. Somehow everyone sorted it out and has good manners now.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks folks !! I took your suggestions and looked at similar pics on goog and I saw this which looks an exact match? A female White Tipped Bentosi Tetra?

Ornate tetra, Hyphessobrycon bentosi

"very closely related to the far more common Rosy Tetra" ??

So does this mean that they are not Rosey Tetra, but related?

http://www.northtrop.co.uk/bentosi.html

:ermm:

It's a female red phantom tetra

Sent per three-eyed raven...

It's a female red phantom tetra

hmmm not sure about that .. ;)

I would say that the first pic of the Ornate (Bentosi) and the last pic (my pic) look more alike than the 2nd image from seriously fishy, which is a female red phantom.

But thanks for the feedback (y)

Attachments

• bentosfem.jpg
    bentosfem.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Hyphessobrycon-sweglesi-female.jpg
    Hyphessobrycon-sweglesi-female.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 227
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417481549.027209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417481549.027209.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 511
You're absolutely right! I forgot about the black spot on the sides of my phantoms! ^^

Thanks folks !! I took your suggestions and looked at similar pics on goog and I saw this which looks an exact match? A female White Tipped Bentosi Tetra?

There are differences between those fish and the white finned rosy tetra.

I just spent awhile watching mine and comparing your photos. Based on what I see and especially the males, I'm very confident you want the white finned rosy tetra, not the "closely related but different."

Every PetSmart probably has them.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Looks like my serpaes, if it's new give it a few days and its dark red to come in..

It's tough because there are several species in that complex that are all very closely related and look very similar to one another. With some plecos like that, there is debate over whether they are indeed different species or if it's just minor adaptations to living in different locations.

Back
Top Bottom