Ideal tank size for shellies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to set up up a shellie community. Currently, I'm in love with L. ocellatus. They have the cutest little frog faces!! What would be the ideal tank size for a shellie community? I would limit the stock to Tangs only, specifically shell dwellers. Can anyone give me some ideas? I was going to get a free 30 gallon, but I have no idea when that guy's going to come through on that, meanwhile, I still want to set this tank up. What size does Santa need to bring for Christmas?

Minimum tank size for shellies ia a 10, but that's really too small even for multi's when they start spawning. A 20 long is the smallest I'd try ocellatus in, they are much more conspecific-aggressive, and difficult to pair up. A 30 long would be better, you may be able to fit 2 species of shellies in that size tank. Best bet would be to place a tall rock wall in the middle for a sight barrier, with shells at opposite ends. Otherwise, you could stock 1-2 other species like J. transcriptus and calvus or comp's.
Have you checked out shelldwellers.com?

Yeah, that's a cool website with some awesome pics. I'm thinking I want a 30 long also. I was tempted to set up another 29, but I think I would do better with a longer and not so tall tank, that way, it would be easier to make territories.

What other shellie would work with occies? I might check into those other species you suggested. They are not shell dwellers right? Just rock dwellers?

I don't know if I'd attempt two types of shellies, even in a 30 long. This Shellie Basics Article says that its not really a good idea to have more than one type of shelldweller in a tank, unless its really large. It says that Occies share territory with Brevis in the wild, but in an aquarium, could starve the Brevis.

I've been researching these cute little guys too Melissa. I plan on setting up a 20g long with just some Gold Occies. Hopefully they'll breed. :D Mine won't be setup for awhile though. You have to show me some pictures once you get yours setup. :)

Oh, I will. That article was great, I don't know how I missed it. I'm really interested in just the occies. Their little faces are so cute and I love the colors!!! I think I'm going to go for the longest tnak I can get (heck, if I can get a hold of another 55 for cheap, I might go that route) and stock as many occies as I can without overcrowding.

My water params are perfect for these dudes. I will probably have to use a buffering substrate (aragonite or crushed coral) to my pH up past the 7.2 out of the tap, but my kH is 80-120 ppm naturally and 300 ppm gH I should be all set. No need for specialized lights or expensive plants.....man I'm really looking forward to setting up this tank. LOL

I use crushed coral for substrate, baking soda and epsom salt to raise/buffer the pH and hardness of my tap water for my Tanganykians.
Aragonite is better for Tang's, it maintains the pH above 8. Crushed coral only goes to 7.6, a bit low, unless the fish have been acclimated or bred in similar conditions.

I wouldn't suggest mixing shellie species in the same tank, regardless of size. Not only can you have serious territorial issues, you've also got cross-breeding to deal with. Please, only keep one species of shell-dweller per tank.

Sand seems to be the preferred substrate in my experience.

Yeah, I'm gooing for a strict occie tank. I'm in love with this little fish!! I'm going to use sand, but I'll have to use rocks and crushed coral to up my 7.2 pH. My hardness (330 ppm) is good, just need to boost the pH a bit....should be easy to do. I think I can score a 30 gallon tank by Monday.....I'll let y'all know. Heck, I'm still stocking my 55 SA biotope. I'm looking to get some A. trifasciata by next week. Will the MTS never end??? 8O

Back
Top Bottom