ideal temperature for shubunkins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jambar44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
to cut a long story short I seem to of acquired a couple of shubunkins I am a reasonably experienced fish enthusiast however my other tanks are all tropical not cold water, so I have resurrected a tank out of storage for them bit im a little worried that the ambient temperature in my tank room fluctuates quite a bit. The current water temp in the tank is about 14c is that ok for them? I do have a spare heater that will fit the tank its minimum setting is 18c would that be better for them especially seen as it will be stable?

thanks in advance

J

14C is about 57F - 18 C converts to about 64F.

For an indoor aquarium, I think 18C would be as low as I would go.

My fancy goldfish tank is 74F.

14 degrees Celsius is in the mid fifties. I believe 18c is around 63-64f. I honestly would add the heater and keep the tank in the 68-72/74f range. It's not that the shubunkins can not handle 14c (they can) but once your into the 50f range of temps, you really should be limiting to not feeding at all.

The second issue with these low temps is that your nitrifying bacteria do not function well. With messy, high bioload pond fish, you really need all the bacteria possible functioning at full capacity. Please ask if you have any questions!

yeah this seems to be pretty much what i was thinking, ill drop a heater in tonight.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom