Ideas for a 65 Gallon Tank ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Just need some quick 'different' ideas for a 65 gallon tank...

I was going to do a saltwater setup, but i don't think that's possible right now, mainly because I don't have enough room in my tank stand to place a sump (if you know of a way for me to do a saltwater without the need for a sump, PLEASE let me know!)

Anyways...I have a beautiful 48 gallon freshwater palaudarium setup already...with a nice waterfall and lots of community fish....oh and TONNES of plants......

so i need something TOTALLY different....any weird fish you think might be interesting?? big or small....cichlids and oscars are out cuz my brother is scard of them for some reason...

Any ideas?? just shoot them here or point me to threads that have good info

tanks!

You don't "need" a sump for saltwarer. It is just a benifit. Just make sure not to overstock your saltwater tank. Lots of Live Rock and good water movement are all that are needed with a deep sand bed. No filter or plumbing at all.

tkos said:
You don't "need" a sump for saltwarer. It is just a benifit. Just make sure not to overstock your saltwater tank. Lots of Live Rock and good water movement are all that are needed with a deep sand bed. No filter or plumbing at all.

are protein skimmers are 'optional' too? i though they were basically required, if you have lots of fish in the tank (my ultimate goal)

Zach.

If your goal is to have "lots of fish", you likely would need a sump, and the protein skimmer imo. If you just want a few fish to make the tank look busy, the sump would not be needed, however the protein skimmer likely would be needed. Go ask around in the saltwater forums for more info...

so....what other species can I comfortably fit in a 65 gallon??

1 or 2 BLack Piranhas??
how many freshwater barracudas??
skate?? stingray??

I saw a fish a few weeks back at one of the lfs i visit on a regular basis....i forgot the name of it, but the fish was majestic....does anyone know what it is:

-about 7" to 8" long
-very, very shiny silver colour
-a blunt nose and head (not pointed like a gar or barracuda)
-looked like it had a very sharp set of teeth
-and it looked mean as hell

and it sort of hovered in a downward angle, totally still, only twitching it's fins every now and then..

the name was pretty long.. but i think i read 'barracuda' in there...not sure...are there other species of freshwater barracuda out there??..anyone know??

Zach.

My pictus catfish just hides all day behind the rocks in my tank. He looks cool, but I never see him.

Patwa, from the description you gave us, it almost certainly sounds like a barracuda. I wanted to say arrowana, but arrowana's don't have sharp mean looking teeth (or at least I have never seen one).

You can get a Hang On Back Filter and Skimmer if you really want to run a saltwater tank. If you don't know much about having a saltwater tank I suggest you read up on it because it's significantly more complicated than a freshwater tank.

If I was you, I'd get some sort of eel in that tank. I think they look badass. Ropefish look awesome too. I like shrimp alot too, but the eels and the ropefish would eat them all up real quick. Maybe you'd like those blue lobsters that they sell at petco.

Also, you could go with some red cap Orandas and black moor goldfish, but they can get pretty darn big and I've hear that they make a real big mess.

Arowana's look really cool too, but they are generally pretty expensive.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

man, that stinks. all the petstores i see them at they are SO active... they say to buy them a few at a time, so maybe yours would be more active if you had more than one? but they also say to buy kuhli loaches in bunches and i have 4 and i NEVER see them-- hate to say it, but it's like they're just taking up space in my tank... i can't even watch them! they just stay buried under the rocks all the time =[

Look at the Black Ghost Knife. Just recently got one and I think they would have to be my favourite of all. They are noctornal and what not but their body shape and scaleless body and the way it moves are awersome. If you can picture a feather under water being dragged and the way it moves this is how the Black Ghost moves. They are really interesting and can be trained to feed from the hand. Definatelly look into them :wink:

Like most fish however they do have draw backs: live food etc "blood worms" and the habit to eat small fish like neons etc.

Back
Top Bottom