Ideas to fill out my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a newly started Amazonian inspired tank (tank thread to come soon, I promise) with lots of driftwood and it's is in the process of becoming heavily planted. I won't call it a biotope because the plants aren't Amazonian, but all the inhabitants are.

Current stock:
6x false juli cory
6x oto
2x angelfish
2x GBR
2x cardinal tetra (I had 15, the rest died off strangely - not a water quality issue, the otos were added at the same time and all were fine -waiting to see if the angels eat them or not before adding more)
1x clown pleco

Looking for one or two more species to complete the stocking list, any ideas? Preferably Amazonian but I could be persuaded otherwise. I'd like to fill out the cardinal school again, but I'm waiting to see how the Angels act with the remaining 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Perhaps another school of tetras like rummy-nose?

Was considering rummynose, but I already have a lot of white in my tank with the cories and otos. Have been trying to find something with a bit more color that the angels won't eat, but to no avail so far.

Update: the angels have eaten 1 cardinal already, so rebuilding that school is a no-go.

+1 on rummynoses. They show a lot of red and are active schoolers.

I also like black phantom and emperor tetras.

Was the cardinal tetra full size?

I find new fish I have to grow out for a few months in QT otherwise they will be gone so maybe the larger tetras. Anything less than inch size I find a problem. Lost a few rosy barbs before I figured it out.

+2 on the rummynose

Was the cardinal tetra full size?

I find new fish I have to grow out for a few months in QT otherwise they will be gone so maybe the larger tetras. Anything less than inch size I find a problem. Lost a few rosy barbs before I figured it out.

Hmm, good to know. They weren't full size but not small, either. Probably 75% of fully grown. They were the only things in the tank (besides 6 otos) when I introduced them and most died within 4 days, so it was almost akin to a quarantine.

I do like the rummynose, I would just like a bit more color variation in the tank.

How about serpae tetras? I have them with angelfish and no problems with each other. I do keep a school of about 10 though to stop them bickering among themselves so much.

Other thoughts - black widow tetra? I've never kept them but have been thinking of them. Although just flicking through the book I see hatchetfish as well (and about 20 other fish I want).

Dela hatchetfish are awesome but probably not a good choice. I kept a bunch successfully until their angelfish tank mate got to adult size and couldn't stand them eating any of "his" food. He drove them all up and out of the tank.
What size is the tank?
I personally love emperor or kerri tetras

Back
Top Bottom