Identify please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I think this is a convict but from where my sister got it that doesn't make sence she pulled this little beauty out out of a lake in south east Idaho. Shape color all point to convict but location doesn't. It's possible that some one dumped it but do you think it would make it threw a winter cichlids are strong and adapt but I don't know what's your opinion

Attachments

• image-3428008601.jpg
    image-3428008601.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-763035283.jpg
    image-763035283.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 123
That's what I thought thanks. Now the only problem is I have it stuck in a 20gal because he won't mix in my African cichlid tank.

Yeah my sister is good like that just about everyfish she's had has came from a lake she had one that live for four years but then outgrew her tank. She's had this one for right around a year but she shut her tank down for a snake. I am now the only one in the fam to have fish and I'm getting ready for a 250gal build. I will start a new thread on that a around feb. (I hope)

If I keep him I have a 50 and a 75 gal in the basement on stand by I'm just not sure if I'm going to have the room for 3 tanks yet

...It probably wouldn't have lasted the winter so good catch.

As counterintuitive as it seems, it's actually not that far-fetched considering the region.

Generally, temps here get too cold for tropicals in most waters from early to mid-September through May. However, that area of Idaho, northwest Wyoming, and southwest Montana is one of the most geothermally active regions in the world. There are bodies of water that have portions that maintain tropical temperatures year round, and other smaller bodies of water that maintain those temps completely, all due to being fed by hot springs. At one time, both guppies and convict cichlids had established breeding populations in waters in NW Wyoming, and guppies, mollies, swordtails, convict cichlids and a species of tilapia had established breeding populations in SE Idaho. Tiger barbs have been documented overwintering in Wyoming, but never established a breeding population.

Been quite a few years since I followed up on this, so don't know whatever became of these populations. I assumed the respective G&F departments would look at removin' 'em once they were discovered.

Anyways, I don't know a thing 'bout the lake yer sis caught the fish in and by no means am I sayin' it has a breeding population of convicts. An interesting bit of trivia and food for thought, though. And something to keep in mind for anyone who starts catchin' a lot of one species out of the same lake, regardless of how nonsensical the location seems. :)

WYite

Back
Top Bottom