Identify: which is this ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SAEs are delightful fish. I have two very happy, industrious ones in my 55 gallon planted tank. Otos definitely need to be in groups of three or more but SAEs are pretty contented alone or in a small group. They get pretty big (up to 5 inches); that is why I've limited myself to two. SAEs eat more algae than otos, but otos are so cute. I have three of them in my 20 gallon. Here are good photos of both species.

The fish in your photos looks like a very young CAE (avoid!).

Top photo, my two SAEs hard at work
Bottom photo is a stock image of an oto

Attachments

• oto.jpg
    oto.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 52
  • SAEs.jpg
    SAEs.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 37
One more thing: Chinese algae eaters have a sucker-like mouth. Siamese algae eaters do not! That fact alone shows that the fish you showed is a CAE. The SAEs' mouths are very tiny with little whiskers that point down. The black stripe extends all the way through the tail (it fades out some) whereas the stripe on a flying fox ends at the base of the tail. Flying fox are not nearly as readily available as SAEs in the shops (at least around here).

I own a couple SAE's and this fish is not an SAE. They don't have a true "sucker" mouth. Their black stripe goes all the way to the end of the tail without tapering.

The photo I originally showed was all the same fish at a store. I've been had by sales people with the CAE and these are not a CAE. I will never forget the horrible experience. I asked the question to see if I should get 1
. Which with so much to be cautious of. I have 2 of these supposed to be Oto. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409740437.470828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In that pic the fish is a 100% an oto.

SAE's are a must have for any large planted tank IMO. I have 6 in my 75g. They are very peaceful and love to school. I will never have a tank without them, ever! Very exciting to watch, sturdy fish. Algae destroyers. I don't have a spec of algae in my tank.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom