If I put 4 african dwarf fogs with 12 endler live bearers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
in a 10 gallon, should I be worried about the frogs eating the endlers? currently fishless cycling. Thanks

I don't know how big endlers are, but my two ADF (who are well fed) ate one neon a piece when I added them......the two smallest neons. If it fits in their mouth, they will eat it. I wouldn't have believed it until I actually saw it. They both had bulges for days and you could see the stripe from the neon show through their skin.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sometimes African clawed frogs are sold as African dwarf frogs, but they are a different species and are much more aggressive- I have heard they will eat fish. Are you sure yours wasn't one of those?
I had African dwarf frogs and they were quite timid. Can't imagine them pouncing on any of my fish.

If a fish is dumb enough to try and steal food from in front of the frogs face and is small enough to be eaten, then yes, they may accidentally eat one. They have pretty terrible sight and accuracy otherwise ;) I keep mine with neons, amano shrimp, danios, and crayfish and haven't had any problems. Just make sure you spot feed with a turkey baster (if feeding live or frozen) or by dropping frog pellets in front of them so they're well fed, as the fish will tend to steal their food otherwise.

It was neons they ate. And they had been fed bloodworms right before bed. That's what threw me too, I know they can't see. It was wild. Now, who's to say the neons weren't dead or dying and that's how they were caught (possible, right?) I have one neon left, but its bigger than my frogs. So, now I'm scared to put more neons in the tank unless they are full grown. I worry about any fry my gourami or danios might produce. They may become dinner.

It was neons they ate. And they had been fed bloodworms right before bed. That's what threw me too, I know they can't see. It was wild. Now, who's to say the neons weren't dead or dying and that's how they were caught (possible, right?) I have one neon left, but its bigger than my frogs. So, now I'm scared to put more neons in the tank unless they are full grown. I worry about any fry my gourami or danios might produce. They may become dinner.

They will eat any fry they can catch, yes, but they're rather bad at hunting so I sort of consider it "survival of the fittest"... If the fry are slow/dumb enough to wander in front of a frogs face and hang out there for the couple of seconds it takes for frog to smell them and lunge, well... They probably are the same ones that you hear about trying to swim up the water change siphon ;)

My guess for the neons is either they were dead or dying. Otherwise, since neons usually stay in the lower parts of the water column it's possible they drifted into the frogs face while asleep. Frogs are gluttons, so if a free meal wanders into their faces they won't turn it down even if they're full.

Welp, live and learn. Here is one of the little pigs.
he6u7eme.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom