Ill female betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanager

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an ill female betta. I bought her from a reputable, locally owned pet store around August 2013. For the past couple of months she has gradually stopped eating. I've observed her attempts to catch, swallow and digest food but either she can't even swallow it or she spits it out entirely. She swims in an erratic fashion and looks malnourished. I've fed her hikari pellets, micro pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms. Her color looks pale, and I actually don't know how she is still alive, but it appears she is starving to death. There are no visible signs of external parasites or damage. I do not know of a practical or affordable method to treating internal parasites/injuries. I change her water once a week, usually add a small amount of old water to new, use conditioner and wait until new water is room temp. I've been treating her consistently with melafix but her eating habits have not improved. She is housed in a half gallon tank in a room that averages temps between 55-75F. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I can't stand the idea of her starving to death. Please help.

First things first--stop the melafix. It contains tea tree oil, which coats the surface of the water and prevents bettas, which have a labyrinth organ and need oxygen, from breathing.
Second--no fish can live in a half gallon tank. They shouldn't even be sold. Your betta needs a 5 gallon tank that is heated and filtered. Please don't think me rude or mean when I tell you that she is dying in that tiny tank. Every single one of her symptoms is directly related to the inappropriate conditions she is housed in. If you get her the right living space, she will recover so quickly that you will be astounded.
Please feel free to ask any and all questions. Pet stores don't do a good job informing people about fish needs. They have a tendency when it comes to bettas to say that "they live in small mud puddles so they like small spaces," but neglect to mention that these mud "puddles" can be miles wides and are constantly refreshed by rain and other water sources. Plus, the betta can jump from one puddle to the next at will.
To fix your fish, get it a larger tank, a heater, and a filter. If you don't have them already, buy an API water testing kit and a bottle of Prime water conditioner. Get some New Life Spectrum betta pellets (some of the best on the market.) And your betta will transform into the most beautiful, happy fish you've ever seen. I promise. :)

Back
Top Bottom