Ill fish and dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.

Late last night I discovered all my fish in my community tank have become very sick. I have read the pinned post and I'll try to answer all the questions.

It is a 10 gallon tank with:

2 Black skirt tetras
2 Neon tetras
2 Red Wag platys.

It was a kit tank from Petsmart so it's all stock equipment (filter and heater) from TopFin and I added an air stone soon after setting the tank up. The tank has been running almost 6 months.

As of last week I didn't have the platys. I just got them on Saturday the 9th. That following wensday one of the platys died unexpectedly. I tested my water. (Readings were great) but I did a water change anyway, about 30%.

After being out all weekend I noticed at about 1am last night all 5 fish had signs of ich! The Black skirts fins are falling off and are covered in white spots, and the 2 neons were dead at about 8am the next day. Found them stuck to the intake.

The platy looks ok, but isn't swimming much. The black skirts are swimming but very slowly or just hovering in the middle of the tank.

I haven't change diet or water conditions prior to this. It seems it's all gone downhill since I introduced the platys. I'm beginning to wonder if they were sick from the store and infected my tank!

The platys were introduced to the tank by floating the bag and adding tank water and ridding the store water. I never add store water to my tanks.

I had to leave for work but I feel nature will take over soon and send the rest off to a better place. Although I don't want them to suffer.

And ideas on what can be done?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bump the temp up to about 86 degrees, treat with an antibiotic to prevent any secondary bacterial infections and water changes using a gravel vac to siphon debris out of the substrate.
What you see on the fish is the end stage of their life cycle is actually an egg cyst. When it bursts all the trophonts (babies) go down into the gravel where they mature for a while until big enough and then they are free swimming and find a fish to attach to and it all starts over. By using a gravel vac daily you remove some of them from the gravel bed. ;)
That is why one day you see a few spots and then suddenly they are gone and then 3-4 days later a major outbreak.
First sign is always labored breathing as the gills are the first place the ich collects as the fish breath.
By the time you see spots, you're tank is infected and assume all the fish are carrying ich, so action needs to be taken.

For now, good housekeeping, water changes, increase temp (it kills ich) and treat with antibiotics.

I did bump the temp up before I left my house today. When it left it was near 82F. Not sure if I turned the dial enough to get it to 86F. It's a basic heater and doesn't tell me when it set at. That's up to me to figure out I suppose.

When you say antibiotics, what kind? Something I can buy at the pet smart?

Unfortunately they are my only option for a fish store. No mom and pop shops around here that I know of. I know big box stores a looked down on sometimes.

Hi everyone

The lone surviver is the one platy. He still has ick. The temp is raised and I am dosing the tank with some ick cure I picked up yesterday. We'll see what happens.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I do have a second tank which has no issues. Is it ok that I use the same bucket and siphon for water changes between the two tanks? Or is it a good idea to get all new equipment?

Hey

Well it seems you and everyone else believes here its a some sort of illness and not the water. So changing the water in my eyes wouldn't do anything and you could risk cross contamination.

I would treat for the fish with medicine you believe is correct according to the symtoms and maybe add some salt to the tank.

Beware though there is no cure for fish tuberculosis and it is very much transmittable to humans so keep that in mind if the medicine doesn't work. and disposisng of the fish. Just on the side of caution.

I agree with PB .(y)
Add while the trophont is in the gravel it is multiplying possibly by the thousands..
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
@Luke I feel your post has not one useful piece of info in it besides TB can be transmitted to humans.
As for the rest of your assumptions....:nono:
Me thinks PB_ might speak again?:whistle:

I think your fish may have been stressed also. That can contribute to parasites like ICH taking over.

Your stocking was maybe not the ideal for a 10g ?

If you decide to nuke the tank and start over, consider stocking nano species that stay small and you would have room for a group.

Tetras do best with 6 or more of same species. All of those species are a bit big for a 10g when grown and not enough room for proper groups ?

I have done 5 Neons in a 10g. They did ok, but didn't seem to thrive.

Since Petsmart is your store ? If you decide a redo here is an idea.

1.Black sand, black background. Lots of plants and 6 Glowlight Tetras ( not Glowfish). I find Glowlights to be underrated fish that look awesome in the right tank. They are healthier IME than Neons. Size wise for a 10g not ideal, but they are hardy fish.

OR

2.Some Petsmarts carry Endlers. Males can make a nice display without breeding.

OR

If you could get them ordered Celestial Pearl Danios are my fav for a 10g

I'm very sorry you lost fish. It sucks.

If you need to use same equipment on multiple tanks, make a dip bucket to disinfect. It would be cheaper just to get a plastic hose from hardware store so you have separate siphons. I'm paranoid about parasites and disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom