Illegal plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I found out something today that really seemed strange. Went to my lfs to find out about getting rid of some of the plants out of my tank. They offered to buy almost everything I had(for store credit of course) except for one, the duckweed. Turns out they cant resell it in this state because its illegal to buy or sell. And here I have been breaking the law for years buy growing this stuff in my tank and giving it away, or maybe that isnt illegal who knows in this messed up state. Anyone else ever heard anything like this about a plant?

I can see why.

It grows like mad and could easily overtake local eco systems.

I hope they don't have the same law in florida, Sicne I have a crudload of duckweed in my tanks

Yep. There are a number of common aquarium plants that are considered nuisance or even illegal plants. I think hygro is another.

I didnt think it was that way here. But like I said I took a bag full of duckweed and some other plants to get for credit at the lfs just like i do with some fish and stuff, and they woudlnt take it. Funny though cause they have it in their tanks and will give it to you if you ask for it, but wont sell it or take any of it. oh well, I will just keep giving it away to people who wants some.

I think its down south where many of these invasive plants are considered a problem; guess its cause its warmer down there and the plants will usually survive the winters.

I'm pretty sure hygro is illegal in Fla, and I know cambomba is illegal in Vermont (with a fine up to $1000!). A lot of the plants sold as anachraris are actually not and are illegal plants in SC. Do a search on noxious plants that are illegal on the net; you'll be amazed how many of our common aquarium plants are on there.

The following exotic plants are prohibited in Texas:

Giant Duckweed, Spirodela oligorhiza
Salvinia, All species of genus Salvinia
Water hyacinth and Rooted Water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes and Eichhornia azurea
Waterlettuce, Pistia stratiotes
Hydrilla, Hydrilla verticillata
Lagarosiphon (African Elodea), Lagarosiphon major
Eurasian Watermilfoil, Myriophyllum spicatum
Alligatorweed, Alternanthera philoxeroides
Paperbark, Melaleuca quinquenervia
Torpedograss, Panicum repens
Water Spinach, Ipomoea aquatica

The reason is, of course, that these plants have become invasive pests in at least one of the Texas waterways. We have a number of lakes that are nearly impassable by boats because of Hydrilla and water hyacinth and water lettuce have become almost as much of a problem in our east Texas lakes as they are in Florida and the surrounding states.

For those of you in Florida...here's the list for you:

Salvinia, all species except Salvinia minima
Water hyacinth, all species of Eichhornia
Hydrilla (Florida Elodea), Hydrilla verticillata
Lagarosiphon (African Elodea), all species of
Lagarosiphon
Alligatorweed, Alternanthera philoxerioides
Paperbark, Melaleuca quinquenervia
Australian Pine, Casuarina all species
Sawah Floating Rush, Limnocharis flava
Purple Loosestrife, Lythrum salicari
Monochoria hastata and M. vaginalis
Giant Sensitive Plant, Mimosa pigra
Nechamandra alternifolia
Wild Red Rice, Oryza rufipogron
Tropical Pickeralweed, Pontederia rotundifolia
Brazilian Pepper, Schinus terebinthifolius
Exotic Burrweed, Sparganium erectum
Water Aloe, Stratiotes aloides
Water Chestnut, Trapa all species
Hippo Grass, Vossia cuspidata

In addition....the following plants are also prohibited in Florida except that they can be grown in state-regulated nursuries and only for sale out of state:

Hygro, Hygrophila polysperma
Ambulia, Limnophila sessiliflora
Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes

NOTE: I do NOT see any mention of any species of Duckweed on this list.

The list for Alabama, should you be interested, is:

Giant Salvinia, Salvinia sp.
Water hyacinth and Rooted Water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes and Eichhornia azurea
Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes
Hydrilla, Hydrilla verticillata
African Elodea, Lagarosiphon major
Alligatorweed, Alternanthera philoxeroides
Hygro, Hygrophila - all species
Limnophila - all species
Purple Loosestrife, Lythrum salicari
Spinyleaf Naiad, Najas minor
Water Aloe, Stratiotes aloides
Water Chestnut, Trapa all species

NOTE: AGAIN I do NOT see Duckweed of any type listed on the prohibited plants for Alabama.

Did you check what fish are illegal? I did. Boy no fun for texans...!
Gald ! Sure relieved I don't live on my land there..never will. Neighboring ranch has a 50 year lease on my creek rights and bufflo roam to pay my taxes. I don't go there. 20 acres of grazing land. No other merit. Heh!]

There are many common kept things illegal there as well as the typical snakeheads and such.... Half the people on the boards own the "Naw har ya dont! critters of TX...

Yep....I'm very well aware of the fish that are illegal in Texas but since this post is about plants I didn't post that list. I've had quite a few fish over the years that are now on the prohibited list but since getting back into the 'hobby' I haven't seen any of them for sale....which is probably a good thing.

Its easy to understand why these laws exist in florida.

Just 3 years ago I used to drive by this HUGE lake atleast twice a week, and now.. it looks like a field there.

The lake is just so overgrown with plants that you can almost walk on it the vegetations so thick.

and thats just an isolated lake. We also have major problems in major areas, as well.

Christmasfish said:
Did you check what fish are illegal? I did. Boy no fun for texans...!
Gald ! Sure relieved I don't live on my land there..never will. Neighboring ranch has a 50 year lease on my creek rights and bufflo roam to pay my taxes. I don't go there. 20 acres of grazing land. No other merit. Heh!]

There are many common kept things illegal there as well as the typical snakeheads and such.... Half the people on the boards own the "Naw har ya dont! critters of TX...
go figure...texas outlaws certain plants because of the threat they pose to the eco-system, and yet texas is by far the most industrial-polluted state in the union... :?

Nothing seems to be outlawed in Ohio aquatic wise...probally because everything freezes rock solid. Duckweed is illegal in FL check Alli's site.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom