I'm a beginner starting a 55gal aquarium. ADVICE NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just so you know you do not have to push the plants all the way down to the soil when planting. The roots will grow down to it. Also be sure when planting stem plants to take them out of their bunch, cut about 1/2 to 1 inch off the bottom of the stems and plant with about a fingers space between each stem. Yes, plant each stem individually. For plants like swords and crypts cut roots down to about 2 to 2-1/2 inches before planting. Plus make darn sure you put any swords or crypts exactly where you want them. In a soil tank you do not have the option of playing move the swords/crypts or you make a mess in a soil tank. Swords grow enormous root systems and crypts get fairly decent sized ones, so plant them and leave them be. Stem plants are easy to move in a dirted tank as they root shallow and will have roots in the sand. Since you have a 2 inch layer of sand you may want to eventually get some root fert tablets. And, lastly, in a dirt tank you will have alot of excess nutrients in the first weeks, getting some floating plants and some fast growing plants will greatly reduce excess nutrients. If you can get some water sprite to plant it will grow like a weed and really suck alot of nutrients out of the water. I even used it in my 220g for about 4 months in the beginning and am glad I did. Hope this info helps.

Yeah, one more thing.... get something like BBQ fork that you can poke in the substrate (down to the soil) a few times a day for about 4ish weeks to release any gas pocket buildups from the decomposing organic soil. This will only last 4 to 6 weeks. Since you have only an inch of soil you'll probably be closer to 4 weeks.

Rivercats said:
Yeah, one more thing.... get something like BBQ fork that you can poke in the substrate (down to the soil) a few times a day for about 4ish weeks to release any gas pocket buildups from the decomposing organic soil. This will only last 4 to 6 weeks. Since you have only an inch of soil you'll probably be closer to 4 weeks.

Haha thank you for the plant planting advice. And this too
i already noticed bubbling on the sand.

Okay here it is guys! Planted with a few small plants which I hope will grow big and strong! May get more later on. Still need to add a big piece of driftwood in the left corner. We have yet to see one we like. Walls are bubbled up but that will go away in time. Clear water thanks too my kick butt sand rinsing skills and our natural crystal clear Mountain water! Yay!

Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20121003_204844.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_204906.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_204923.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_204940.jpg

Last photo with a filter running and light on.

Keep poking the dirt because if a big enough air pocket builds it can actually spew dirt up into the sand and make a mess.

If the ones on the right are wisteria, which it kind of looks like, it will grow big and fairly fast. Can't tell what the ones on the left are even blowing the pic up. It won't look so bare in just a couple weeks. You will be amazed how quickly they will grow, especially in a dirted tank. Good start!

Rivercats said:
If the ones on the right are wisteria, which it kind of looks like, it will grow big and fairly fast. Can't tell what the ones on the left are even blowing the pic up. It won't look so bare in just a couple weeks. You will be amazed how quickly they will grow, especially in a dirted tank. Good start!

Oh good! Haha. Excited to see how it looks then. Question: will the soil turn the water brown? Someone said that will happen.

Kay2lynnS said:
Thank you!! How is yours coming?

At a stand still unfortunately :/ I have a lot going on right now and haven't even gotten my tank from outside yet, its been drying ever since I got it cleaned up. We still have to find basically everything for it, I think I'm slowly going to start buying things for it (filter, heater, substrate, etc.) and we also have to find something to put it on. I really want to get it started cycling but can't do that until atleast substrate and a stand/table is found for it.

What soil did you use? Different organic potting soils can have varying amounts of peat in them. But yes, yours will have peat as I'm sure you used an organic soil so there will be some leeching. You only used an inch in a 4 foot tank so I don't think you will have alot. But if you notice your water visably darkening and you don't like it you can either put alittle carbon in your filter or some Purgen. Either will remove the tannins. If you really can't tell your water is darkening but notice it's slightly yellow when you do a WC I wouldn't worry. Tannins not only darken water but they help soften it and tannins have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which are actually good for your fish. Besides my organic soil I also use Indian Almond leaves in my tank to add more tannins to my water.

Rivercats said:
What soil did you use? Different organic potting soils can have varying amounts of peat in them. But yes, yours will have peat as I'm sure you used an organic soil so there will be some leeching. You only used an inch in a 4 foot tank so I don't think you will have alot. But if you notice your water visably darkening and you don't like it you can either put alittle carbon in your filter or some Purgen. Either will remove the tannins. If you really can't tell your water is darkening but notice it's slightly yellow when you do a WC I wouldn't worry. Tannins not only darken water but they help soften it and tannins have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which are actually good for your fish. Besides my organic soil I also use Indian Almond leaves in my tank to add more tannins to my water.

Okay. Thank you so much. :) if it gets bad, I'll do a WC. :)

Mrs.h2012 said:
At a stand still unfortunately :/ I have a lot going on right now and haven't even gotten my tank from outside yet, its been drying ever since I got it cleaned up. We still have to find basically everything for it, I think I'm slowly going to start buying things for it (filter, heater, substrate, etc.) and we also have to find something to put it on. I really want to get it started cycling but can't do that until atleast substrate and a stand/table is found for it.

Oh that sucks. This does do a number on the $$$ we are not buying any more things for a few weeks. We have everything we need for cycling. So that's good. :) hope you get to starting it soon. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :D

Okay so I am a week into cycling. My water has turned a brownish color with I assume it is from the soil. It will go away when I do a WC. But ontop of the sand in some spots is a brown algae or something. Is this normal?

the brown stuff is just algae eating silica in the sand is all, it will go away. I had the same stuff grow when I changed to PFS.

Looking great!

The brown water is from tannins being released as the organic soil (which has peat in it) is breaking down and leeching just like alot of DW does. The same applies, do big WC's frequently and use either some carbon or Purgen in your filter for the first 4 to 6 weeks. This is normal in dirted tanks that the soil was not mineralized before using.

Diatoms are very common in new tanks. They will eventually go away on their own as the silicates in the water are used up. You can also add some nerites or other plant safe snails and they will gladly clean them up for you. They can also easily be wiped off.

Small update: still building up the bacteria. Ammonia starting to go down. And the Nitrite is, just barley, starting to show. Now we are still looking up fish and agreeing on what ones to put in. Looking at colors and compatibilitys. Such a slow process but worth it in the end. :)

Small update: still building up the bacteria. Ammonia starting to go down. And the Nitrite is, just barley, starting to show. Now we are still looking up fish and agreeing on what ones to put in. Looking at colors and compatibilitys. Such a slow process but worth it in the end. :)

sounds good. It took every day of my eleven week cycle to decide on a stocking plan for my 29 gallon, and then the day I went to buy fish I changed my mind completely :lol:

Back
Top Bottom