I'M BACK with more questions ^_^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cieno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here I am again with more questions for you lovely peoples!(tired of me yet? :brows:)

First is heater related question. I was looking into a new heater for my 36G because the one that came with it was only a 50watt heater. I was thinking of a Fluval Submersible(sp?) 200watt as the room the tank is in tends to be a pain in the #%$ to keep warm in the winter. Would this be to much for the warmer months of the year? Want to make sure my fish are toasty and not toasted lol.

Second, SeaChem Prime dosage. The dosing instructions say 5mL(one capful) for every 50G of water, would it be inadvisable to just use a capful for my 36G or should I really be working out the proper dosage for it(trying to figure out how to use the cap for 3.6mL lol).

Third, Has anyone had experience with ordering fish online? I wanted to get a Pearl Gourami and Bristlenose Pleco but none of my LFS carry those and they don't special order. So i'm thinking I may have to go with online if I really want those later.

Last but not leastest. I purchased an Aqueon water changer to help with the cleaning and PWC once I get to that point. With the water change part should I dose the tank with Prime before or after filling the tank back up and should it be a partial or full dosage?

Thanks in advance for any help! Looking forward to the day when I can be the one helping instead LOL.

Cieno

Cieno said:
Second, SeaChem Prime dosage. The dosing instructions say 5mL(one capful) for every 50G of water, would it be inadvisable to just use a capful for my 36G or should I really be working out the proper dosage for it(trying to figure out how to use the cap for 3.6mL lol).
Last but not leastest. I purchased an Aqueon water changer to help with the cleaning and PWC once I get to that point. With the water change part should I dose the tank with Prime before or after filling the tank back up and should it be a partial or full dosage?
Each thread of the cap is about one ml. Or you can use a medicine dropper.
Dose into the tank BEFORE you fill it for the TOTAL VOLUME of the tank not just the volume you are replacing.

Cieno said:
First is heater related question. I was looking into a new heater for my 36G because the one that came with it was only a 50watt heater. I was thinking of a Fluval Submersible(sp?) 200watt as the room the tank is in tends to be a pain in the #%$ to keep warm in the winter. Would this be to much for the warmer months of the year? Want to make sure my fish are toasty and not toasted lol.
Just a 'heads up'... The Fluval M is not fully submersible.

I thought so too, because it showed a "water line" on the heater when I checked it out. I actually contacted Fluval to check though and they state the M series is fully submersible(couldn't help me with my question on if it would be to much for my tank though lol).

1.For a 36 gallon a 150 watt heater should be fine. I have a 35 gallon hex, no issues. Elite by Hagen make a decent submersible inexpensive too.

2.As far as Prime I dose the bucket and the Tank. It is more than the instructions but my Tap water is High in Nitrates and Ammonia for my liking so better more than not enough.

3.Those are pretty common and I've seen them at petsmart. As far as online the shipping is expensive. Plenty of good retailers, LiveAquaria comes to mind.

For the Last, Dose the Tank for the full tank dosage before you replace with new water not what you are just replacing. You can overdose Prime with no issues. So if a 50 gallon tank use a full capful...for example.

I thought so too, because it showed a "water line" on the heater when I checked it out. I actually contacted Fluval to check though and they state the M series is fully submersible(couldn't help me with my question on if it would be to much for my tank though lol).
The water line is the minimum water level, that line should never be out of the water otherwise your heater could overheat and break.

also, a 200w heater should be fine, it's controlled by thermostat so it wont cook your fish and although it consumes more power then say a 150w, it will heat up the water quicker so it wont run as long.
Although if the room gets cold in winter, an idea to consider would be using two 100w heaters placing them on opposite sides of the aquarium for more even heat distrobution and also a safety so if one heater fails, the other will stop the fish from freezing.

Oh theres an idea, never crossed my mind to use 2 smaller heaters think i'll go with that idea ^_^

:thanks:Thanks for all the replies:thanks:

When we had a cold snap I wrapped my tank in a blanket to save the heater from overworking!

Back
Top Bottom