i'm horrible @ decifering sex of fish. can someone help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 gouramis and I'm having trouble sexing them. Can anyone help me? I was having trouble taking their pix because they didn't like the red light, so I did the best I could with them being skiddish. Thanks.

Attachments

• juvigold.jpg
    juvigold.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 44
  • blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45
  • blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 46
Hard to tell in the top pic but that one may be a male. The second two look female and the last one looks like it may be a young male. How big are they? The males dorsal fin will come to a point and the females will stay rounded.

yeah...the top one doesn't have that great of a dorsal fin shot...but it looks like it could be male. I agree with fluff...the middle ones are female...the last one...hard to tell...could be female or a juvi male.

question: how do you tell the difference between male and female ??

what do i Look for ?? anyone have pictures to illustrate the difference?

i can kinda see the difference.

the male dorsal fin is kinda 'sharp' and 'pointy'
its kinda 'triangle' shaped

the female dorsal fin is more 'curved'

Okay, LOL. I hope this doesn't get confusing. The sizes are:
Gold gourami - 1.5"
here's where I might confuse you:
blue #3 - 2.5"
blue #1 - 3.5"
blue #2 - 4"
I don't know how else to label them but with numbers. I have a couple new pix. blue #3 is being a pain about having it's pic taken. I raised the brightness so maybe you can see the outline of the fins. I think that you guys are right that they are males, but then again, I always have probs telling the difference.

Attachments

• blue2reshoot.jpg
    blue2reshoot.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 34
  • blue3reshoot.jpg
    blue3reshoot.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 27
With respect :) 3 looks like a mature female with that huge belly - males are usually much slimmer.

You could be right Stuart, and I had noticed that but all the fish look.... well, lets just say well fed, to me. Even #3 though it's not as evident in the first pic due the the angle it was taken and the second pic due to the flash washing out that area. :?

#3 is still young. I just bought it a month ago at the most and it's only about 2.5 inches in length. LOL, sorry about all the numbers, but i wasn't sure how to label them. 1 and 2 are pretty mature, I believe. I've had them for about 4 months.

*edit* Lol, yea. My gourami's are little piggies. They're constantly hogging all the food.

Back
Top Bottom