I'm kind of confused with my new Salt Water Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOLIDAge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me first say that this is my first attempt at salts. I have had many cichlids and other freshwater fish but this is my first salt attempt. I have read as much as possibly and thought that everything was well... it is not

My friend moved and gave me his 29 gallon tank w/ live rock and 4 fish. I kept about 70% of the water during the move and set everything up and all looked fine. THey fish were happy, swimming and had no issues.

I called my roomate to take a look at the salt levels since there was new water in there and he told me it was a little under 1.020 so he was going to add some...well it seems he added A LOT to the water mixture but it didn't even move the meter because i guess he had the meter there as it went and it didn't even phase it.
the water was very salty looking still but after about 4 hours when i returned home everything in the tank was dead. I purchased an anenomy at the lfs on the way home, added it in the water and it died within 10 miutes. this is the ONLY thing i can think of that went wrong...

All the pH, nit, and water alkalidity levels test FINE. I have to buy a new hydrometer to today to check the levels because I don't think that one was accurate, is it possible for WAY to much salt. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong because I did everything by the book ad the to best of my abilities.

What could have possibly went wrong?

Well we need to start with water parameters. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Salinity and any others you can get. Dont add anything else till we find out what`s going on. Also did he add dry salt to the tank?

Well we need to start with water parameters. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Salinity and any others you can get. Dont add anything else till we find out what`s going on. Also did he add dry salt to the tank?

I do not have the numbers in front of me, but when i tested the water the other day and last night using the strips nitrates, Ammonia, were all within the perfect to acceptable range. Salinity was as well...but again, I don't know if I trust the hydrometer we have...

I'm confused by what the term "dry salt" refers to. It was instant Ocean salt.

He did mix it in water and then added to the tank. Usually you`ll want to let it set for 24-48 hours before adding to the tank. You might want to check out a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.

Hello,

I am sorry for the lost but don't be discouraged. Regarding salt water, I think the best way is to buy premixed salt water from LFS as it is cheap and very convenience. My LFS charges 1 dollar per gallon. My suggestion as a newbie is to add a powerhead to disolve all the salt then add fresh water (don't use conditioned tap water) either from LFS or those drinking water (avoid the ones that uses manucipal source) to get your salinity to the right level. Don't add any fish, corals until you check with the gurus here. DP

He did mix it in water and then added to the tank. Usually you`ll want to let it set for 24-48 hours before adding to the tank. You might want to check out a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.

What is the difference?

'nitrates, Ammonia, were all within the perfect to acceptable range' : In your estimation what are those ranges for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

' What's the difference' :Assuming your talking about the adding the salt dry directly to the tank, the difference is following the manufacturers instructions and most probably a contributing factor to your livestock deaths.

'I kept about 70% of the water during the move': How did you move the tank? How far? Did you take out all the water , LR etc? Clean anything? What filters do you have?

Get a refractometer is you can, much better than a hydrometer.

'nitrates, Ammonia, were all within the perfect to acceptable range' : In your estimation what are those ranges for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

' What's the difference' :Assuming your talking about the adding the salt dry directly to the tank, the difference is following the manufacturers instructions and most probably a contributing factor to your livestock deaths.

'I kept about 70% of the water during the move': How did you move the tank? How far? Did you take out all the water , LR etc? Clean anything? What filters do you have?

Get a refractometer is you can, much better than a hydrometer.

The move was about 12 miles. Me asking what the diff. I was acting refracto vs hydrometer. The only thing I cleaned was skimmer a little with hot water.

I am at work on my phone and will post water parameters when I get home. So far, thanks for the help.

I would offer you this last piece of advice. It's hard to help you if you won't provide the information that's asked for in the thread. Each of the questions that has been asked would have provided a piece of the puzzle to help answer your basic question : 'What could have possibly went wrong?'

In any event, good luck with your new tank.

I would offer you this last piece of advice. It's hard to help you if you won't provide the information that's asked for in the thread. Each of the questions that has been asked would have provided a piece of the puzzle to help answer your basic question : 'What could have possibly went wrong?'

In any event, good luck with your new tank.

I am willing to give all the info once I am home. I appreciate the help this far and will post asap.

Never put an anemone in a brand new tank. You need a well established tank as they need perfect conditions.

So if I'm starting new and the tank is empty. Can I put the salt directly in the tank? Thinking of picking up pre mixed stuff.

Heres how i set mine up. I filled it 95% with water and let it warm to 80. Then
I added 2 cups of salt per gallon and waited a few hours and tested salinity. I added more salt every while to get it to the right amount. If you had a hygrometer, Take it to your LFS and have them test it in their tanks. Mine was off by about .009 and i adjusted for it. Also, when ready to start cycling get some of the LFS sand and add it to the base sand. This will have the bacteria that eat ammonia, nitrite.

ok
as promised.
here are the results so far.

Ammonia .40
pH 8.4
Nirate:~0
Nirite: 0
Salinity 1.019 (remember i took out ~10 gallons of water and replaced it with regular distilled water)

i have 10 gallons of premixed salt water sitting here ready to go btw that i bought at the LFS.

There are no fish in there right? If not go get some of the LFS sand to seed your sand with bacteria that may have died during the High salinity.

There are no fish in there right? If not go get some of the LFS sand to seed your sand with bacteria that may have died during the High salinity.

Already bought a bag and put it in we removing the dead fish and adding diatolled water. I also have 10 gallon or premixed salt water sitting here.

OK I see two things that probably are culprits in the death of your fish. 1) your ammonia level is lethal. That needs to be 0 before anything is added to the tank. 2) Your salinity moved too far too fast. when raising or lowering salinity it must be done very slowly. These two reasons combined are a perfect recipe for fish deaths. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

what is "diatolled water".
1) it is best to mix your saltwater in a separate container. Get that to a SG of ~1.026 then add that to your tank. I don't believe your cycle is done yet. as Mike stated your AM is deadly. Take your time, the fish will be there when your tank is ready.
Remember that the "only thing that happens fast in a reef tank are mistakes"

Back
Top Bottom