I'm lucky my wife doesn't mind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I broke down over the weekend and upgraded my one tank in the back of the house. Not to mention my 6 footer in the living room now. Gracie was just getting too big for the 36 long she was in so I got here a 56 tall.

She's already re-decorated as you can see from the picture. The gravel was completely leveled when I put her in on Saturday and now, well you get the idea.

The only thing in this house more spoiled than this fish is my wife and a cat, and not neccessarily in that order.

Attachments

• pict1315_434.jpg
    pict1315_434.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 336
  • pict1318_202.jpg
    pict1318_202.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 24
Wow, that's a Managuense, right?
How fast did she grow, and how big is she now?
I have one, just a wee tike, 3", in my 30gal. It'll soon be in an ocean of freshwater when I get my 90gal. Can't wait,
I hear jag cichlids are beasts, can get up to 20". So I hear, at least.

jbarr said:
Wow, that's a Managuense, right?
How fast did she grow, and how big is she now?
I have one, just a wee tike, 3", in my 30gal. It'll soon be in an ocean of freshwater when I get my 90gal. Can't wait,
I hear jag cichlids are beasts, can get up to 20". So I hear, at least.

Exactly correct, Managuense is the correct species, from what I understand Gracie is pretty much full grown at 12" while males get somewhat bigger. She definitely has a personality and flairs when she's in a mood. She bit me once since I've had her but that was with eggs in the tank so it was understandable.

She scares the cat so I would agree on the beast comment :)

jbarr said:
Pardon me but how do you go about sexing a managuense?

I bought her right after she had laid unfertilized eggs, so it was easy to tell the sex. From what I understand it takes awhile when they are juveniles since both males and females have stripes and spots but the males get lighter while the females get darker markings.

We have one of these in the office.
Beautiful marking.

Very very aggressive fish though. Ours will only eat feeder fish and the occasional pellet and is easily 13-14"

He will ram the glass if you put your hand near it and will actually come out of the water about 4" to try and bite you while you feed him.

Amazing fish, so much personality.

Mine is exactly as previously described. Angry, but fun.

Mine only got to about 10-11" and hasn't grown any for a few months. Despite it's agression, the 8" Jack Dempsey still pushes it around.

The cat sits on the couch near the 125g tank and just watches. I can picture her dipping her paw into the water to catch a fish, but she would easily be pulled into the water by the GIANT pacu who is lurking. I wouldn't call it lurking though. He doesn't really prowl, hunt, lurk, or even float. He's just in a constant state of stupid. He's stupiding.

Esra said:
We have one of these in the office.
Beautiful marking.

Very very aggressive fish though. Ours will only eat feeder fish and the occasional pellet and is easily 13-14"

He will ram the glass if you put your hand near it and will actually come out of the water about 4" to try and bite you while you feed him.

Amazing fish, so much personality.

Honestly there are. When I first acquired her the owner of my Mom & Pop LFS said she may be finicky for a short time on eating, but after she know you, she won't. Well he was exactly right. Now that she knows me I can feed her virtually anything and she'll try it if not devour it. Her favorites seem to be dried krill, fresh liver and raw shrimp.

But she will devour pellets, Cichlid sticks, pieces of cheese, peas, soybeans etc as long as it's me placing them in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom