Impatient with startup high ammonia no sign of a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just recently back into aquarium hobby. When I started back I was recommended Quick Start by API and looked at the guy and laughed. My son is so impatient so I tried it. I come from bit of the old school. Buy a few goldfish let them cycle it and flush and replace. I must say that I cycled this tank in 23 days with african cichlids just gradually adding them and letting the bio load adjust. I was reading about rinsing biowheels and sponges. I hope u are doing this is a bucket of fish tank water not tap. If u are using tap u r killing the colony every time. As for water changes in the first thirty days. Never. Maybe come from old school. U want the waste to build your colonies. I was very anal at testing water and my ammonia for a very short time got to .5 but the trites never really come up significantly. I also used caribsea preloaded substrate. Really worth the money.

The BEST thing you can do now is keep your water as close to perfect as possible. Rinse off anything fuzzy with hot water, and pray.

After today's 50/60% change all the levels are at 0 so I will maintain this and hopefully the bb will flourish

The bacteria from your brother's tank is the same. That would help a lot, and I agree on keeping your water as clean as you can to keep nitrites and ammonia low. It's a very pretty tank.

If (or when) a cycle starts to happen and the nitrite readings start to show and start to climb what is the action to deal with it? Just keep up the water changes?

If (or when) a cycle starts to happen and the nitrite readings start to show and start to climb what is the action to deal with it? Just keep up the water changes?

Exactly that. Do a water change whenever you get a test result of .25 or higher.

Theres good threads on here about fish in cycling

Nitrites strike hard and fast! And are deadly to sensitive fish like Rams and neons. I was doing 2 sometimes 3 50% changes a day for about 5 days when I set up my last thirty. I was using stability, and I squeezed the sponge filter from my other tank off into it a few times as well.
It cycled incredibly fast. And I didn't lose any fish, but dealing with those nitrites was a nightmare.

Is stability an American product? I didn't see anything from seachem in my lfs. I'm from UK Scotland to be precise.

There's another product called TLC I have never used it, but it's highly recommended.

Ok will do. What is its purpose exactly?

I think it adds bacteria into the water column which finds its way to your filter. Not sure how the bacteria survives in the bottle exactly but nevermind.

I dont think its necessary in your position but that other guy seems to love the stuff!! Maybe hes a secret seachem rep lol

I have another query don't know if I should ask this on a different thread but with all that's left in my 46l is the neons should I get something like a couple more bronze corys to clean up the bottom or will they add to my ammonia plus overstock issue? What's worse small flecks of food rotting or 2 more cleaners bi-producing ammonia?

I have another query don't know if I should ask this on a different thread but with all that's left in my 46l is the neons should I get something like a couple more bronze corys to clean up the bottom or will they add to my ammonia plus overstock issue? What's worse small flecks of food rotting or 2 more cleaners bi-producing ammonia?

I think once you have the levels back under control then some amano or red cherry shrimp might be better. Just as good at 'cleaning' and will add little to the bioload

How often should I be feeding? I know they can last days without food but I'm thinking if it's always days in between this might be bad. I'm feeding a little once every 2/3 days just some flake some who some crushed but probably around 8 flakes a time. Does that sound like overkill or famine to anyone?

For growing fish I feed two to three times a day, I do little bits at a time, as too make sure it all gets eaten, usually over. 2-3 minutes.

More food equals more waste. So less food would be a good idea while your still cycling.

They can go days without eating, but I wouldn't do that continually. That could add to their stress, and a stressed fish is more susceptible to disease. I would feed them once a day as much as they consume in a few minutes. Moderation, IMO.

I've put some filter wool in from my brothers tank so here's hoping the circle of life begins in my fish tank. .25ppm ammonia today and still nil for nitrites and nitrates so with the cycled filter wool here's hoping I get some action.

Back
Top Bottom