Indestructable Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bungle

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past couple weeks, my tank has developed some spots of algae (right in front) in a sort of blast pattern from the outflow from my filter. My five otos hang around on the stuff as if to say, "we're trying!", but I've never seen any decline.
So I finally decide to intervene, and buy one of those algae scrubbers that are "acrylic safe". During my last water change, I get the thing out and get to work trying to get rid of this stuff. No dice. I scrubbed hard enough I thought for sure I was going to scratch my tank up real good. Good thing is, no scratches. Bad thing is, the algae looks untouched. The stupid scrubber looks as clean as when it left the store!
So, can anyone help me with ideas as to rid my tank of this stuff? I have not gotten any sort of pleco because someone told me they don't work too well in planted tanks, but its an option I'm now considering. Or maybe I should just reposition the outflow to aim towards the side of the tank? I'll probably still have the same thing happen, just on a part of the tank that isn't as viewable.
Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post...

This sounds like spot algae, and you can try a credit card to remove it, or one of the nylon scrapers, unless that is what you got. I think Kent makes one. It is the scourge of most aquariums!

The scraper/scrubber thing I got is made by AquariumPharmecuticals. I was pretty disappointed with it. :roll: Do you think it would be safe to try a credit card?The algae is all on the front of the tank, so I don't really have a spot to test it out. For a second, I thought about using a razor blade, but didn't for the same reason. Would I have any luck with another aminal besides my otos?

krap, by light method, do you mean blacking out the tank for a period of time? Or do you mean adding a "rest period" from the light during the day?

A credit card is perfectly safe in an acrylic tank, as I have one and it works fine. The other thing to consider is that otocinclus and plecos have a rasping mouth that will scratch acrylic (that is why I need a scraper for my aging acrylic tank - a pleco put tiny scratches in it long ago! That being said, not many fish are able to get that hard algae off - most can't.

Thanks, TG! (y) I've got the perfect, cancelled credit card waiting to go at home, too! So no pleco, kinda glad now that the otos only half-heartedly checked out the stuff (they prefer my plants and driftwood).

Back
Top Bottom