Indian Dwarf Mudskipper Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
After thinking about it, I am pretty sure I am going to do an Indian Dwarf Muskipper tank! I probably won't be doing this for a few months, but I like to get a head start so I know what I am going to be doing when I am ready. I'm going to try and spend the least amount of money as possible on this tank. I'm probably not going to be doing any plants, so I won't need expensive lights. I'm going to try and find a used tank, but if not I'll be going with a 36 gallon bow front. My plans for this tank are:

2 inch sand bed
6 Indian Dwarf Mudskippers (IDM)
5 Inches of water (about, maybe a little more)
Lots of drift wood for climbing, and to make a mangrove type setting.
A sand platform with 1" of water, then just enough water to keep the sand wet.
I'll probably get a 50-75 watt adjustable heater for the water
For a filter, I am thinking a mini canister filter since the water level is so low, but I would like your guys' ideas!

I'm pretty excited about this tank, I think it will be fun! Mostly because I like really weird fish :lol:

Very creative! Would this be freshwater or brackish? Some interesting tank mates could be ghost shrimp or possibly Fiddler crabs. Not sure, just guessing. Would be cool if there was 2-3 males doing the dorsal fin waving thingy.

They are brackish :) I was thinking of doing some fiddler crabs, they seem like they might work since they are brackish also.
I'm buying a 6 pack from Franks Aquarium. Says they are too young to sex, but maybe by the time I finally set this tank up they will be able to be sexed!

I decided to go with an in-tank filter. I decided this would be the best option because of the water level. I'm just hoping that sand doesn't get sucked up into it. I'm going with the Fluval Underwater Filter 'U3' model. I trust the name and the price is great, at $44 with free shipping on amazon.

Total Cost So Far: $44

How is underwater filter doing I'm also thinking of getting mudskippers so any tips would be welcome :thanks:

I know this is an old post, but I would love an update as I am thinking of starting up a tank with mudskippers from franks in a few months. How did it go- any advice for someone starting a tank with IDMs?

Hi, I ended up not being able to go through with the tank. I still want to have them someday!

I know this is an old post, but I would love an update as I am thinking of starting up a tank with mudskippers from franks in a few months. How did it go- any advice for someone starting a tank with IDMs?

If EmilyC is still curios, I can chime in here a bit. A year ago next month I bought 3 from Franks (very pleased with that transaction!). I have them in a tall 65g (40g breeder footprint). I've got 50lbs of pool filter sand and 20lbs of arogonite. I estimate that I've got about 8-10g of water in there and then the rest is land. I'm using the Reptofilter waterfall which keeps the water clear and also keeps it moving/aerated. I've never fully kept track of salinity but I've added roughly 1tsb/gallon of Instant Ocean with each pwc.

These guys are great and a year later are still fun to watch. They are incredibly easy to care for. They eat literally everything I give them. Most days they'll get a rotation of frozen foods such as bloodworms, Emerald Entree, brine shrimp and krill. When I feed frozen food, I always feed them by hand. They just grab it right off my finger and run away. They've even nibbled on the algae wafers I've dropped in for the fiddlers. Then to allow them to exercise their instincts, I will add live fruit flies or crickets. It's really fun to watch them hunt the live stuff.

If you get them, don't be surprised to look over and see their round little eyes just staring at you. I'm sure it's because they know I've got access to food, but they always hop and crawl to the front of the aquarium whenever I come around.

My one regret would be that I didn't get more. Having only 3 in that big of a tank has allowed one to be the aggressor. He's established most of the tank as his and tends to chase the others off when I feed live food. They'll tussle sometimes but the worst I saw was a nipped fin that healed in a day. I think if I had 6 or more, they wouldn't be so aggressive towards each other. But for the most part, they get along just fine. I am considering getting 3 more to hopefully help with that but I'm not sure. Let me know if you've got any questions as I'm eager to sway anyone towards these fun little creatures!

Back
Top Bottom