Info on a sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just looking for some basic knowledge,
What size tank should you have before thinking about a sump?
What's the advantages of a sump?
" Disadvantages. ".
DIY or store brought what's best?

Thanks in advance :)

Most people don't run sumps on freshwater tanks, but personally I would think it has some real advantages; more water volume, no filtration or heating equipment in the display tank; a place for plants and media were it isn't going to cause problems or get eaten. Disadvantages are that it takes more space and the overflows can be noisy. Because it requires a return pump, it is also more expensive. I've had both store bought and DIY and personally I'd rather DIY. Its cheaper and you can design it the way you want it.

I have been thinking the same thing. I know my next tank will be 125 gallon freshwater, and I really want a sump too. I think you should buy one, set it up, and make one of those step by step videos to post on You tube. Or U could build us both one? Lol, just kidding unless you were gonna do it!

I have been thinking the same thing. I know my next tank will be 125 gallon freshwater, and I really want a sump too. I think you should buy one, set it up, and make one of those step by step videos to post on You tube. Or U could build us both one? Lol, just kidding unless you were gonna do it!

Lol I'll tell you what I'll build one and if it goes horribly wrong you can have it :)
But yeah you've got the same idea as me, looking into a large tank and wondering how the hell do I do it.

Back
Top Bottom