Injured swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spider8ait

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I noticed my male swordtail not being his usual self this evening and upon taking a look discovered he appears to have injuries. It looks to be a possible cut just behind his right pectoral fin and some pulled scales in addition to possibly some sort of knock to the head.
I’ve isolated him and treated with what I had on hand (pimafix) and placed a pump with an air stone to add some extra oxygenation to the water.
I have a photo of him but for whatever reason it’s uploaded upside down.
Initially he was ‘wobbling’ a bit when he swam and was at the surface gasping and generally not wanting to swim around like he usually does. I checked him again a few hours later and noticed his swimming and behaviour has improved a lot, he’s not gasping anymore and is able to keep himself upright rather than ‘wobbling’ around now.
Any advice would be great.
His tank mates are 1 female swordtail (who I assume beat him up), 3 Cory catfish, 2 bristlenose plecos, 3 Siamese algae eaters and about 6 shrimp (red nose shrimp and Darwin algae eaters)

Attachments

• 436F94A8-3FC0-406C-A014-A5C1665C2D80.jpg
    436F94A8-3FC0-406C-A014-A5C1665C2D80.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 31
Sorry about not seeing this.

What has happened. Your fish looked in a poor condition.

What are your water parameters?

How long has the tank been set up?

What kind of cycle did you do?

One concern is that there were unsafe water parameters and the fish may have suffered Ammonia poisoning.

If you need any information about keeping an aquarium, there is a link in my signature which can help give you the helpful basics to make keeping an aquarium easier.

Back
Top Bottom