Insatiable Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyintx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Despite the fact that he had his normal morning feeding of pellets and flakes, and a mid-afternoon treat of frozen tubifex worms and brine shrimp (which he took from my hand for the first time!), my Oscar ate my littlest pink convict!
Really annoys me, but I accept this comes with the territory when you keep this type of fish. The *worst * part was my 9 year old daughter crying her eyes out over it. :-(
My 5 and 7 year old girls thought it was cool. :p
Go figure.

Still, it really sucks that my little Cojones became dinner for the Oscar.

I am sorry to here about your Convict, but the one thing you should remember when keeping fish that grow to the size that Oscar do is. Or any fish really is that what ever they can get in there mouth they will. You don't say how big your Oscar is, but it must have been big enought to fit the convict into it's mouth or it wouldn't have bothered.
What you really need with your Oscar is something that grows on the same par, that way it will always be to big to eat.

I have 2 Oscars, and u should NEVR put fish that are smaller than they are in their tank, unless they have spines (i.e. Catfish, Plecos). Anything small than an OScar will end up as food for an Oscar. :(

P.S. - Sorry about ur Convict

You have to be careful with larger catfish as well, cause they will eat whatever is in their way. I saw a picture on another forum where a guy lost his catfish and oscar at the same time because the catfish tried to eat the oscar and choked to death. Funny and tragic.

Plecos are always the best bet with an oscar, unless you have a really big tank.

iv had success keeping large oscars if small fish like red-tailed black sharks, but the other fish where always bigger then the oscar at first and the oscar was introduced after all the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom