Instant Ocean reef crystals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 5 gallon bucket of IO reef crystal salt for 7.00 today. I do not currently have a saltwater tank but am considering one in the future. I thought for 7 dollars that the salt was a good deal and would not hurt to buy it now. My two questions are 1. Is there a shelf life on salt and 2. Even though it says its specifically designed for reefs will it be suitable for fish? I have spent a lot of my time researching freshwater aquariums on here because I have been told it is cheaper and easier to do freshwater. I do not mind any extra work involved in saltwater(I think the colors you get in saltwater fish would be worth it)but how much more expensive would saltwater be? I do not plan on coral maybe just fish and some live rock. I have a 90 gallon tank with a filstar xp4 filter as well as a whisper 30-60 hob filter. It also has T5 lighting. What other hardware would I need? Sorry if my questions are vague but I'm sure I will have more specific ones as I get answers. It usually takes me a lot of research before I commit to something. I like to know everything I can before I do something.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of IO reef crystal salt for 7.00 today. I do not currently have a saltwater tank but am considering one in the future. I thought for 7 dollars that the salt was a good deal and would not hurt to buy it now. My two questions are 1. Is there a shelf life on salt and 2. Even though it says its specifically designed for reefs will it be suitable for fish? I have spent a lot of my time researching freshwater aquariums on here because I have been told it is cheaper and easier to do freshwater. I do not mind any extra work involved in saltwater(I think the colors you get in saltwater fish would be worth it)but how much more expensive would saltwater be? I do not plan on coral maybe just fish and some live rock. I have a 90 gallon tank with a filstar xp4 filter as well as a whisper 30-60 hob filter. It also has T5 lighting. What other hardware would I need? Sorry if my questions are vague but I'm sure I will have more specific ones as I get answers. It usually takes me a lot of research before I commit to something. I like to know everything I can before I do something.

Saltwater can be pricey due to the fundamental supplies you need. After that it really is not bad other than livestock. The canister should be fine for the tank just make sure it stays very clean. I'd run live rock and purigen or chemi pure elite inside of it. If you do not want coral lighting is not important other than just having a basic light. However you say you have a t5 fixture, how many bulbs is it? The reef crystals are fine for a fish only tank but you will need a lot more than that. Look online for cheap salt, the 160gallon buckets are usually $50 online for instant ocean. You will want need live rock, aragonite based sand, power heads and a hydrometer/refractometer. Id get a refractometer as it is so much more accurate. You will also need all the basic marine testing kits. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and alkalinity.

The light is a 3 light system. My bucket of salt is 160 gallons. What is a good brand of sand?

That reef crystals will work. I know people that use it with good results. I use Oceanic salt mix but there really is no "the best one" out there. They all have their pro`s and cons.

Back
Top Bottom