Internal Parasite questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just had a huge bout of internal parasites in my tank, treated it for 2 weeks and I still don't think its better. What should I do? Also, can internal parasites be spread to my other tanks through equipment like a water changer (because i think one of my other tanks has them too)? Lastly, my 20 gallon hospital/fry tank held one of my sick fish in it, but its empty now, do i have to purify the tank somehow if there are still parasites in there?
This is kinda crazy and i'm pretty confused cuz its my first sick tank i've had while in the hobby.

I know bacterial infection easily spread from tank to tank, even on wet hands, but not sure about parasites. I understand your confusion. I've had sick fish the whole time pretty much in my peacock tank =( I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, hope you get more replies soon

I know bacterial infection easily spread from tank to tank, even on wet hands, but not sure about parasites. I understand your confusion. I've had sick fish the whole time pretty much in my peacock tank =( I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, hope you get more replies soon

Yeah its my peacocks too! And yeah hopefully someone can respond!

I guess I would keep treating. I would wait the time between treatments given on the box, if any. Clean water when medication instructions allow. I would also suggest searching other forums and this one for internal parasites. Knowledge is power =) I read somewhere when the worms start looking brown amd skinny as opposed to fat and red that meds are working....? I also got the imoression from this person's thread that it can take a while to cure, good luck

Well it seems that one of my females in my main sick tank is pregnant. Think that at least some of them are healthy? Or can they breed when they are sick? I'm hoping its a good sign!

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a big belly is a good sign =( These cichlids are mouth brooders, I don't know, I mean have NO experience with this, but don't know if their bellies get big...

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a big belly is a good sign =( These cichlids are mouth brooders, I don't know, I mean have NO experience with this, but don't know if their bellies get big...

Yup, they are mouthbrooders. I have bred a decent amount of africans too and it looks like they are pregnant. Their throats have expanded, not their bellies, so i'm pretty sure they are pregnant!

Yeah! So now the question comes, can they still breed if they are sick?

Alright, well if you look at my 55 gallon album on my profile, you can take a look at all the fish. All of them seem healthy to me except 1 that is still really skinny. He's eating though which I believe is a good sign. The thing is, none of the fish really seem to be pooping a lot. I can't find a ton on the sand, and i used to be able to see strings of it before i would clean the tank. Any ideas on that?

If they are eating and not refusing food and you've treated for internal parasites then I wouldn't be to concerned. It takes time to fatten up the fish after a digestive problem, don't overfeed and keep the nitrates low to be safe.

What are you feeding by the way as low quality food is the one of the leading causes for digestive problems?

I'm feeding them a mixture of spirulina algae flakes, and Dainichi Color Supreme pellets.
Did you check out the pictures? Think thry mostly look healthy?

I did and some look overfed and some under. Don't try and feed to make sure everyone gets some as this leads towards overfeeding. Feed the fish for 30-45 seconds per day, just like with humans there will be some fat and some not based on their individual behavior. Feeding is in my opinion one of the harder concepts to get. In my opinion the majority of aquarist overfeed low quality foods, which leads towards digestive issues and death.

Gotcha. Well i shall do that then! Should i not feed them tomorrow to try and get the fatter ones back to normal?

I feed six days a week with fasting on water change day, follow the 30-45 second rule and monitor the fishes appearance and adjust if needed after a few weeks.

I feed six days a week with fasting on water change day, follow the 30-45 second rule and monitor the fishes appearance and adjust if needed after a few weeks.

Sounds excellent! Thanks! Also, do i have to do something to my empty 20 gallon that had one of the sick fish in it? Like could there be parasites living in there yet?

Sounds excellent! Thanks! Also, do i have to do something to my empty 20 gallon that had one of the sick fish in it? Like could there be parasites living in there yet?

No this is a digestive issue in the intestinal track not free swimming, just suck up all feces and you'll be fine.

K sweet! Just making sure, cuz it doubles as my fry tank, so i don't want them to get sick either!

Back
Top Bottom