Internal Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last night while moving a plant I noticed some red worms in the plants roots! I am freaking out. I thought it was a dead root so I pulled on it and then quickly realized it was a worm ???? Needless to say I made a scene ?? so I did some good ole googling and am still not sure what it is but now my fish are all having signs of stringy clear/white poop. I don't know if the worms are related to the poop but what should I treat the fish with? What works better food they eat or something in the water? Everyone's still eating great and swimming fine and acting no different. What medicine should I pick up? I only have a petco and Wal-Mart near by at the moment so hopefully one of them will have something! Thanks so much! Here are the worms I found in the gravel/roots last night 20180120_222822.jpg 20180120_235812.jpg 20180120_235604.jpg

And here's a picture of my angels poop. It was just hanging there. This is the first time I've noticed anything like this and one of my pleco also has long stringy clear/white poop. Everyone else's looks fine for now. 20180121_024654(0).jpg

The angel looks like internal parasites to me. I’m not sure on worm Id.

I am dealing with Camallanus worms atm. Levimisole is best for that, prazipro might work on the ither

Ugh just checked petco and they have nothing for internal parasites. The guy said it's against policy to sell meds like that?? I have another pet shop that I am going to try tomorrow. Guy at petco said they should have it. Fingers crossed! I have had nothing but bad luck with this tank it seems ? What would be the best med to treat with? I have garlic on hand would that help at all until I can get some meds?

Online and you can have it quick. I will share what I ordered

12 hours and worms were gone. Fish are still not well but they are eating

Potluck do you know what the worms are? I am grossed out! I don't even want to put my hands in the tank! ? For the prazi or metro will I be able to find them at a pet store or any where locally?

Potluck do you know what the worms are? I am grossed out! I don't even want to put my hands in the tank! ? For the prazi or metro will I be able to find them at a pet store or any where locally?
Try amoxfin. It's an antibiotic for fish. Get it on Amazon. If you got Amazon prime you will have it by Wednesday

IMO the worm is not from in the fish..
Its appearance and location found say it could be a bloodworm to me...
Do you feed freeze dried or frozen bloodworms to your fish ?

No coralbandit that's why I am so freaked out lol! I have been feeding some frozen brine shrimp but no worms of any kind. Could they have came from a plant possibly? They were all tangled in the plants roots and here I was pulling on them thinking they were dead roots ????

Carrie
The pictured red worm, looks like a common earthworm to me. Probably a hitchhiker on your plant. Earthworms can survive underwater for weeks, and even longer if the water is heavily saturated with oxygen. Earthworms absorb oxygen through their skin, no lungs. The pictured worm likely has no connection to your fish problem.

Carrie
The pictured red worm, looks like a common earthworm to me. Probably a hitchhiker on your plant. Earthworms can survive underwater for weeks, and even longer if the water is heavily saturated with oxygen. Earthworms absorb oxygen through their skin, no lungs. The pictured worm likely has no connection to your fish problem.
That's what I was thinking. Looks like a small earthworm.

There was several of the worms and they died when taken out of the water if that helps any.

I found one like that prior to my camallanus out break. Coincidence? Not sure, but I had poo that looked like the picture you have above and then my reading glasses allowed my to see the rest. In your case, I’m not sure, but it all sounds very similar to what I have been dealing with

I honestly thought they resembled the camallanus worms but have yet to see any signs of them protruding from the fish? Will prazipro treat them if that is what they have?

I honestly thought they resembled the camallanus worms but have yet to see any signs of them protruding from the fish? Will prazipro treat them if that is what they have?
You want levamisole for camallanus.
The Prazi will not touch them .
Info on camallanus treatment.
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl

For what it is worth I thought it looked like an earthworm also...

Back
Top Bottom