Intro and help w/blackwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose70

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m new to this site, not new to the hobby (although not very sophisticated about it). I’m looking for some advice about a recent problem with my 55-gallon, blackwater, planted aquarium.

A month ago, I lost several rams (eye cloud, some mouth fungus…mouth fungus also on angels). The tetras, for whatever reason, appeared unaffected. After several types of medication to cure the eye cloud, I’m now on the last day of API’s Furan-2. The results are looking more promising.

At around the same time the fish became sick, the plants started to do poorly. I have the typical variety of Amazon plants (swords, etc.), plus some others. Normally, they grow so fast that I need to remove a grocery back of trimmings each month. In August, they stopped growing. By the end of August, they started shedding leaves and the inner-most leaves on the swords turned yellow. Now 80% of the plant volume is gone…basically disintegrated. This has never happened to me before. The water seems to test the same as always.

A little more about my aquarium:

It contains angels, schools of various tetras (rummy nose, black neon, bleeding heart, black phantom), some corries, plecos, rams, a huge flying fox (not Amazon, I know) and a large (6”), silver tetra of unknown species (Baltimore Aquarium could not positively ID it…it’s now 17-years old). This particular aquarium has been set-up more-or-less as is for eight years. It contains bogwood, so the ph stays between 6.0-6.5. I also add Kent Blackwater Expert after each water change (25% every two weeks).

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Hi and welcome to the forum:). Your problem is a toughie:cool: It could be old tank syndrome? Did you add anything around the time your troubles started? Does your P/H stay stable? What filter do you have on your set up? Sometimes we can experience a problem for know apparent reason.:confused: Good luck:)

Maybe try some Rooibos tea. Its caffeine free and contain lots of anti-oxidants. About 2 bags should do with your tank. My tank is still fairly new but I do it once a month.

Hope the meds work for you. Unfortunately cant really answer your problems. Havent come across such problems as yet.

Back
Top Bottom