Introducing schooling fish with dominant gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnieNCSU

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a question. I recently started a new tank after not having an aquarium since I was in college. I know a good deal about fish but wanted everyone's advice and insight. I currently have a 65 gallon tank. I have 4 gourami, 3 angel fish, 4 platys, and one beta. I wanted a schooling fish and I always loved the danios and tetra. One gourami, the gold one, is dominant in the tank. The two kissing and the lavender gourami are very calm. The gold gourami will occasionally run the other gourami, but has not seemed to bother the other fish except during feeding where he tries to be top fish. i haven't seen him nip any fins just occasionally run the other gourami. First question which schooling fish do you think would be best to introduce to my tank with this proud fella? I'm particular to danios and tetra but have heard also they will nip fins so I am worried about my other fish. Also how many should I get to make a good schooling group in this size tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, you could get a school of about 10+ serpae tetras or a bit more risky, you could add a large school of harlequin rasboras.

A bulletproof, fast schooling, big Tetra; Buenos Aires Tetra.
A really colorful (blue & red) big Tetra; Columbian Tetra.
A mid sized colorful Tetra; Candy Cane Tetra, AKA White Tip Rosey.

I've kept all the above and found each variety to be good community fish. The Buenos Aires and Columbian tetras has a reputation of being fin nippers and a plant eaters. I've not observed that behavior.

A bulletproof, fast schooling, big Tetra; Buenos Aires Tetra.
A really colorful (blue & red) big Tetra; Columbian Tetra.
A mid sized colorful Tetra; Candy Cane Tetra, AKA White Tip Rosey.

I've kept all the above and found each variety to be good community fish. The Buenos Aires and Columbian tetras has a reputation of being fin nippers and plant eaters. I've not observed that behavior.

I really like the suggestion of a large school of Colombian or Buenos Aires tetras, but I would remove the betta. His fins would likely be too tempting for them.

I've never heard of a lavender gourami. (Looks them up) Sounds pretty!

Back
Top Bottom