Introducing smaller cichlids to a larger cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90g tank with a Rotkeil Severum and some Red Head Tapajos right now, but I am selling the Tapajos on Wednesday because I feel they need more space. There are also some Congo tetras in there but they are reaching the end of their lives and slowly dying off. I have a wild Red Tiger Severum and a Leopard Ctenopoma growing out in a 37g right now that I'm hoping to put into the 90g once they get a bit larger. My Rotkeil is around 6-7" right now. What are the chances that this will work, and what would be the best way to introduce them? I was thinking about taking the Rotkeil out and putting him in a bucket while I add the others and rearrange the decor before putting him back in. I was also thinking about putting in some convicts or firemouths to round out the tank, unless that'll be too much with the two sevs and the ctenopoma. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't do cons with the severums.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, ill hold off on those. Anyone have any other suggestions or have any input on the addition of new fish to the Rotkiel tank?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have pics of the Tiger Severum? I heard of a guy in japan that had some called red tiger. They are a very rare severum.

You might not have any issues at all introducing them. My largest severum only has issues with severums of his own size and gender. Smaller severums have no issue. Other severums I have had showed no aggression. They are very low on the aggression scale.

If you like Cons look at Honduran red points they are less aggressive than cons (except when breeding) I have two males in with my severums and they do great.

I actually was looking at those before I even got my severum, they are very nice looking. And I think you're right, the one red tiger was harassing the other so I decided to wing it and put the aggressive one in the 90, I sold my Tapajos today. The Rotkiel hasn't bothered the little one incher at all, just watching him and that's it so right on! So far so good. Mine are still tiny but my girlfriend has one that's a bit bigger, here's hers. She got hers wild from an importer as well

Attachments

• 1443067837605.jpg
    1443067837605.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 132
Wow that red tiger is awesome where did you get him? I would love to get my hands on one.

Glad the introduction worked out for you.

Thanks! I can only hope mine grows up to look like that one. She got him from a company called Below Water on Facebook, they import all kinds of awesome SA/CA fish from plecos to pikes. Yeah me too!

Back
Top Bottom