Introducing smaller female Texas Cichlid to older male.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
I'm really not sure what to do here. I have a 20 gal long with a medium amount of rocks and a large fake plant. In it is a about a 6-7" mean male that wont leaver her alone. She is about 3-4". He definitely isnt hungry either because I really fed him alot so he wouldnt be hungry. Tank params are fine and i just did a 30% pwc yesterday.

Her back fin is already split b/c he was really going after her (in a not so much "I love you" way but more of a "Get in my belly!" way; so I had to put her in my community tank 55 gal with other fish like loaches, swordtails, gold gouramis, cory's, rainbow shark, etc. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen and am VERY afraid she will eat everything in there.

What should I do?

Tank separator in the 20 gal? Attempt to reintroduce? Keep in 55 gal? Anything else?

I agree that they both need to be in a bigger tank. Not sure your other community fish will fare at all well. I think your tetras will become dinner for the cichlids.

The 2 Texas cichlids will NOT work in the 20g tank; you'd need a 55g to keep the two of 'em in even if you could get them to pair off. Can you take the female back to the shop it came from?

Back
Top Bottom