Invertabrae for 6 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need some advice on tank equipment and future of this tank.

Instead of upgrading to a bigger tank was thinking about giving damsel back to lps and getting into corals. Everything in tank is going well just trying to keep it that way.

My first question is do corals leave waste?

Secondly I have the fluval edge stock filter and a koralia pump do I need more flow like another one?

Should the marineland reef capable led light be strong enough in such a small tank?

Lastly should I limit myself to just corals that need low-moderate light, low to moderate flow?

Attachments

• image-1681781587.jpg
    image-1681781587.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 107
The marineland reef capable LED light will be strong enough for low to medium light corals. However, I have bought two of them and ended up sending each one back due to bulbs stopping working. The first time it was the blues, then the second time a group of 3 in the back right. Sucked! Lots of people have problems with that light too. Also I think they're 18 inches, is your tank 18 inches?

The ecoxotic panorama pro modules are a lot better and more powerful and more compact than the marineland light (i am selling a couple - see my sig). Even with a single one, you could do high light corals. But, I don't know if you could get away with their barebones look on that tank.

The fluval edge is 17in across so not even sure it would fit properly.

I was also looking at beamworks led but seems like a cheap knock off.

Right now I have a cheap clip on led that seems nice for fish only but isn't bright enough.

I was going to lay it directly over the glass on top of the tank and keep the clip on led.

Couldn't I do that with the panorama?

Thanks for the help

The marineland is adjustable with metal brackets. I can't remember the size of a 10 gallon but it fits that plus give or take a couple of inches.

Ah I wasn't aware you had glass on top. I suppose you could. It might be a bit ugly though, lol. They're not the prettiest looking modules.

As you can see here:
img_1994664_0_45e47c691414a99f6869f9a0ac06aecd.jpg

The flat side is the side against the wood in that picture. Although I'm sure they would sit up with the side the lights is on resting on the glass. Another thing is heat. They would heat up the glass and maybe warm the water. Perhaps you could sit them on a piece of acrylic? Not really sure man.

EDIT| The marineland is exactly 17 inches. May be a good fit, but I personally have not had good luck with them. And if you buy the panorama pro modules, don't buy mine as I'm selling both of mine and I think that would fry just about any coral you put in the tank without raising the lights.

Have you looked at clipon led fixtures meant for keeping corals? What is the one you currently have?

I was just looking at the 12" 16 watt 10000k daylight micro sun led high output clamp.

As long as it fits and clamps on I think it will be good

Major issue

Come home from work and I see my shrimp missing and all creatures devouring what looks to be a shrimp shell... Not sure if the shrimp is hiding or if he died and they are devouring his remains.

Could they devour him this quickly and would they all want go into feeding frenzy for the shell?
Usually I catch the shells when molting and take them out quickly? Could he be really hiding because he sees them?

Attachments

• image-2067009478.jpg
    image-2067009478.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 90
MikeGio said:
Major issue

Come home from work and I see my shrimp missing and all creatures devouring what looks to be a shrimp shell... Not sure if the shrimp is hiding or if he died and they are devouring his remains.

Could they devour him this quickly and would they all want go into feeding frenzy for the shell?
Usually I catch the shells when molting and take them out quickly? Could he be really hiding because he sees them?

Not sure if thats a molt. There isnt anything to scavange on a molt so im thinking thats your shrimp. However they do become shy after a molt so it is possible he is hiding.

No it's the shrimp unless he's invisible. He seemed perfectly find when I left for work. I tested the water and all came back fine. Can something living have killed the shrimp?, fish, snails, hermits, hitchhiker? The snails and hermits devoured it either before or after it was dead.

MikeGio said:
No it's the shrimp unless he's invisible. He seemed perfectly find when I left for work. I tested the water and all came back fine. Can something living have killed the shrimp?, fish, snails, hermits, hitchhiker? The snails and hermits devoured it either before or after it was dead.

Damsel bro, they are mean, and considering you stock in a 6g tank im guessing his territorial hair trigger switch just flipped. Hes in ninja mode now man, watch out for him. This is why many people avoid damsels, and your stock is contributing to his aggression.

I never seen the damsel show aggression towards anything really. There's nothing really left of the shrimp.

My stock has just taken a major hit.

MikeGio said:
I never seen the damsel show aggression towards anything really. There's nothing really left of the shrimp.

My stock has just taken a major hit.

You never do until its too late, next on the hit list is probably your clown or emerald. Once damsels start they dont really stop.

I'm shocked at how quickly the cleanup crew destroyed the evidence. Theres literally just a little shell left.

I'll keep an eye on the damsel and I plan on upgrading my tank. Everything was running so smoothly.

MikeGio said:
I'm shocked at how quickly the cleanup crew destroyed the evidence. Theres literally just a little shell left.

I'll keep an eye on the damsel and I plan on upgrading my tank. Everything was running so smoothly.

Sorry for the loss. And yea they will got to town on a corpse, its what they do. Scavengers.

Sorry for your loss.........Here's my 6g edge after 6mos.....

Black Oceleris clown
Wheelers Goby
Green Chromis
CUC is one rather large Mexican turbo, two narcissus snails, two hermits....
Average tank temp is 80-82degrees
20% water changes weekly........
Koralia nano pump
Stock Filtration
Stock LED lighting
2 Coralife 50/50CF bulbs custom mounted under hood.

Attachments

• 20120723_123516.jpg
    20120723_123516.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom