Iodine for Shrimp n Invert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read from chem maker site that adding iodone will help shrimp n invert a lots.

I give my shrimps calsium supplement weekly as they need calsium for the shell n exo skeleton but i have no idea what the iodine do.

Anyone know why? Pls advise

TIA.

From what I understand the addition of Iodine is much debated.

Some say adding iodine will aid in the shrimps molting. Others say adding iodine will cause the shrimp to molt because it has to rid itself of excess iodine.

Iodine in the proper levels (0.06ppm i belive) is a benifit to the tank but iodine in excessive amounts will be more of a detrament.

If you do elect to dose iodine make sure you also get a test kit. Only dose if your test kit shows your level to be below the natural seawater level.

I put iodine (kent's marine) in my tank usually once per week (1 drop / 3 gallons). I had heard that it was a factor in the molting process, but hadn't heard molting to get rid of excess iodine - that's interesting! I hope I'm not making things hard on the shrimp. If I forget to do so the shrimp starts to turn opaque/cloudy, I assumed this was a bad thing... It appears that if I leave the shrimp that way long enough it dies as well, but it takes a while. It could have been that I od'd the iodine after doing that, so inconclusive I guess...

I have killed ghost shrimp before by overdosing.

I'm just a shrimp killer :(

I used to dose iodine. I don't anymore because I don't think it's necessary. I have found, in my tanks, that regular water changes are all you need to maintain adequate levels. You might want to keep some Lugols on hand for medicinal dips though...it does have an antiseptic effect when used properly and can sometimes save a coral that is afflicted with a bacterial infection.

I don't add any iodine to my tanks that have shrimp, they do just fine without it. Mine shrimp have molted and tripled in size since I bought them.

No coral, its about adding iodine to FW tank n the effect to FW shrimp n invert.

I find it more necessary for ghost shrimp than Amanos or cherry shrimp. I do weekly additions of 1 drop per 10 gallons after a 20% water change. Before I started dosing, the ghost shrimp were turning white and dying like other people have stated above. And don't drop it directly on the shrimp as it creates an instant overdose situation.

I've never dossed iodine in any of my tanks with shrimp. I even have a 5g tank with ghost shrimp and a crab. Never had a problem. In my show tank the water temp is 84'ish. My Indian prawn is huge, like 4" inches with antennas 6". That crazy thing molts like every 10 days. I think its due to the high water temp. Also do to the higher temps he's got a crazy metabilism. Oddly enough, he does'nt eat any of the small ghost, cherry or rudolf shrimp.

For what its worth. I raise ghost shrimp in a 5g tank. Observing the ones that grow larger. If they get up over an inch, I transfer them to the big show tank. This is a great way to score on various species of shrimp, at a much cheaper price than large exotic shrimp, plus you get to watch them grow.

Back
Top Bottom