Is a powerhead with sponge enough filtration for a 35 Gal QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I am setting up a 35 gallon Qt and was wondering if a maxijet 1200 powerhead with the sponge filter on it is enough filtration. I only plan on QT'ing one fish at a time and will monitor the water parameters closely. My only concern is my first fish is going to be a puffer which is quite large (6"-8") so I am wondering if this is enough filtration to keep the water decent without having to do daily changes.

If this will not work, will a penguin power filter work?

anybody? Sorry to be impatient but i want to get my first fish and start to quarantine it.

I have a sponge filter and a penguin 125 (no bio wheel) on my 20-gallon with two ocellaris. The water is stable, but I did have to do changes every few days for the first couple of weeks. Based on my experience, I'd throw an extra filter on there if you have one.

I think you would be OK. You can get going and always expand your water volume of needed. I had to expand the water volume in my 40 gallon qt tank and simply used an overflow and a return pump with a 40 gallon garbage can. (see pic).
Also will need to do daily or every other day water changes until the cycle catches up with the bioload, so have change water ready.
Feed lightly and siphon out all uneaten food. along with the water changes, you may be ok. If not, I presented you with an option.
If you have not purchased the filter yet, check out the Skilter 400. Thats what I use on my 40 and it does a nice job.

Thanks for the help. I will try it and see how it goes, the lfs has the skilters and other power filters in stock so if it does not work I will head their way nad pick one up to help with the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom