Is duct tape safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshWithGuppies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently my old gravel vac came apart and I was wondering what could fix it. I know silicone would fix it but I don't want to have to put it back together. Does anyone know if duct tape would be ok? At most it will spend 1 1/2 minutes under water.

By safe, I assume you are asking if the duct tape will be bad for the fish (instead of if it will hold up in the tank) and I don't think it will. Duct tape is made of plastic and fabric mesh, so the only question is the adhesive, which, if stuck down properly, should be fine. Duct tape can be used under water and should not fall apart unless it is wet when being stuck to something. I've never tried it, so I don't really know for sure. You do what you think is best.

People have even made boats out of duct tape, it's quite strong. Don't use the patterned/colored kind for crafts, though. I don't think it works as well.

Thank you. I wanted to make sure that it won't leech anything that would be toxic.

Back
Top Bottom