Is green hair algae bad or harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a 38 gallon bowfront and have had it set up and running since December. I have several live plants and fish and it's thriving pretty well. I have had green hair algae growing on my centerpiece wood decoration and no where else. It really actually looks pretty cook and my fish, especially my red tail shark, seem to enjoy it. Is it something I should remove? Can it hurt my live plants or cause any other problems?

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,126
rb...

Don't worry about some algae. It's really a sign of a healthy tank. Algae, under control, is as good a water filter as there is. You want to avoid feeding your fish too much flaked food, especially food with high phosphate. Algae thrives in water with high nitrate and phosphate. Change most of the tank water every few days and add some floating plants, like Water sprite and Hornwort, this will keep algae from becoming a problem.

B

Thanks so much! I will keep it trimmed down since it is getting so long and try some floating plants. It seems to only be growing on my center wood piece and not attaching to my live plants, so that's good. I just really enjoy the way it looks and my fish seem to enjoy it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with this kind of algae. Just wanted to say your tank looks really nice. I like the colour of the substrate and of the darker plants :)

if you decide to keep it be sure you stay on top of it as it can become out of control fast.
one thing I do suggest is check your phosphate levels green hair is a good indicator that high phosphates are present fueling the growth , it can look nice in a planted tank but it can also become a nusense if not kept under control .

Get an old toothbrush and twirl the algae around it and remove as much as possible. Check your Nitrates - I'll bet they are high and if they are consider water consistent water changes.

I cant tell from the picture. But id make sure it's gha and not clado. They are often confused. Triggers for clado are different than gha. Need to make sure what you have so you can correct the root of the issue. Too me kinda looks more like clado.

Great time to learn about the two. Imo excess nutrients and or phosphates is rarely if ever a cause of algae.

I like to turn the filter off, grab a syringe full of H2O2, apply it to the algae and watch it fizz. ?

Back
Top Bottom