Is it Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoyden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon Eclipse 1 tank that has been recently moved. It's only inhabitant is a 10 year old plecostamus aka 'Vac' that is about 6" long. We set the tank up about 2 weeks ago and we tried to use our old gravel and bio-wheel. Our water is slightly cloudy and today I discovered two patches of really bizzare looking blobs underneath the faux log decor. It looked like it was a translucent brownish sack of cream colored eggs. It disintegrated as soon as it was touched. The only thing I can think is that it is a weird fungus.

Vac seems to be okay, but I've noticed he's a lot more active than usual. I feed him 1 algae tablet per day and the tank has some new plants in it.

I confess I have not tested the water quality since setting up the tank (please yell at me for this), but I've done 2 25% water changes.

My first impulse is to add salt and do another water change, but I don't want to hurt my new plants with too much salt.

I'm off to the pet store for a new test kit (I promise) and I wonder if I need to get some kind of fungal remedy as well? Is my fish in danger?

Thanks! I'm glad to find such an informative community!

:n00b:

Sounds like some crap that was in the old gravel. Fungus would be white and hairy. The cloudy is a bacterial bloom. A very good sign things are moving along. Now go get those test kits. The water changes were a good idea, be prepared for more.

Back
Top Bottom