Is it normal to have some hair algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bballsosh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a little on one plant in particlular, but the rest of my plants are fine. ITs a 55 gallon tank that is densly planted with 1 neon tetra and 2 clown loaches. I really dont want this to turn into a major problem.

By hair algae, you mean Green Hair Algae? If so a small amount is normal, ie you have to look hard to find it. In this case an algae eating shrimp, snail, or fish might be enough to keep it from annoying you. However if it's something that you would spot when quickly glancing at the tank, then it's probably something that you should work on figuring out what is causing it so that you can fix the cause and get it to go away.

We will need more info inorder to better help you bballsosh.

What amount of lighting are you using? (type and wattage.)

How long is the photo period?

What are you dosing the tank with? (fertilizers)

and anything else that you can think of.

EDIT: NVM, I just read one of your other threads. You are running a low light setup, so the lighting should not be causing the problem. Overfeeding your tank or not cleaning it will allow the algae to grow on the plants. I know this from experience on my smaller tanks.

HTH

i keep the co2 and lights on for 12hrs a day from 9 to 9 and the only ferts i use a root tablets

Per lumen output, you are at 3.3 WPG. That is a lot of light for a tank without dosing fertilizers. Once one of the nutrients becomes limiting, the algae takes over. You need to consider purchasing some fertilizers before the algae becomes a major problem.

BTW, how long have you had this tank setup this way? with that amount of plants and light.

i have had the tank for 2 weeks now. Where can i buy these ferts and what are they called. I really want to prevent this from becoming a huge problem now. So should i just but the ferts?

bballsosh said:
i have had the tank for 2 weeks now. Where can i buy these ferts and what are they called. I really want to prevent this from becoming a huge problem now. So should i just but the ferts?

I will give you a link to an article on what is called "EI dosing", that is what most of us higher light tanks use to maintain our ferts. It is a long article, but will give you a better idea of what is happening in your tank. I highly recommend you read thru it. It also tells you where you can get the ferts. A lot of us use Greg watson ferts.

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

EDIT: here is another EI acticle that will help in the setup up of a routine:

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/1800-ei-light-less-techical-aspects-estimative-index.html

bballsosh said:
will my tank be ok once i start adding ferts?

Well, so far your tank is doing fine correct?

This was taken from one of the links I posted earlier:

" EI provides a surplus of nutrients that helps to prevents plant deficiencies, and allows plant growth unhendered. Most algae releated issues are due to plant deficiencies rather than excess nutrient levels(Ammonium/NH4 + is the exception)."

As you can see, when you run out of a nutrient, algae takes ahold. Since you are not dosing any fertilizers into the water column, you are just waiting for algae to appear.

FWIW, you should never base your decisions on one persons post or thoughts. I would get a confirmation from other AA members as to your situation before going ahead, but I feel you must get the fertilizers in or else you will have an algae problem sooner or later.

Chemical quick cures for algae are nothing more than a bandaid that temporarily covers up the problem at best, and often can cause harm to your plants or fish. If you don't actually fix the problem that is causeing the algae, then it will come back before long usually worse than the first time.

You have two of the three major bases covered (Light and CO2), so that just leaves nutrients (fertilizers). If you don't have a nutrient rich substrate and are just supplementing it with root tabs, then it is unlikely that your plants are receiving enough nutrients over the long term. In this situation dosing your water column is the best solution. You'll want to pick up a good trace mix, Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium. If you get your ferts from www.GregWatson.com, then you'll want CSM+B, KNO3, K2SO4, and KH2PO4. EI dosing takes a lot of the guess work out of dosing, and should work well for you once you get it tweaked for you tank.

Back
Top Bottom