Is it safe to treat Bettas with reg ICH meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
I happen to use the same equip. for my tropical fish and separate betta tanks. I think I see one white spot on a tropical fish. Looked close at my betta and maybe, just possibly I see an intsy weentsy spot. I heard some fish cannot handle the treatment (scaleless fish?)

(FYI - I never cross contaminate with my saltwater fish)

Check out the article on ich in the articles section.
Having used both, I much prefer the heat treatment to any medication for eradicating ich. Crank up the heater to 88oF and leave it there for three weeks - kills ich, and the fish just thinks it's summer. I've had equal success using heat with and without salt.

FYI: Most catfish (plecos and corys) are scaleless, and don't tolerate salt and some medications. Bettas are very sensitive to many medications - they irritate the labrynth organ that they use to breathe air.

I know I've used Quick Cure successfully on my female bettas, but I've never had to use that for the males. I don't see how it would make a difference, but I'm definately not an expert, so you might want to wait for someone with more experience. Honestly, if your fish can handle it, I'd try turning up the heat to 86 degrees, and using an aquarium salt treatment. Those ich meds can be pretty harsh, and the higher temp and salt is said to be just as effective on ich.

One day of 88 degrees wiped out all signs of ich on my new rainbows (I kept it there for a week after anyway). I have not had much success with ich meds, and they cause lots of problems-killing scaleless fish, killing plants, staining everything, you have to remove carbon... Just easier to crank up the temp. My last ich infestation (before the rainbows) was about a year ago. When I treated with meds the fish died and the ich recurred. If you don't have a heater for your betta (which you should-they like it around 82) you could try floating its tank in the tank with the other fish.

two weeks at 86-87 87 to be sure will kill the ick.. it's complete life cycle is two weeks.. and the heat alone kills the ick you dont need anything else. just make sure you get plenty of aeration in the tank you are turning up the heat in.
:D

Back
Top Bottom