Is my anubias in trouble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, a few days ago I added a small piece of mopani driftwood to my tank. I boiled it for a half hour to get rid of tannins and any residuals. Well it looked great in the tank. This morning I looked at it and saw a clear to white slime mold on most of the wood.

I wasn't expecting something like this, as truth be told, this is my first real piece of driftwood. I've tied an anubias petite to it already, and I'm worried the slime coat may work itself on to it.

I've read that this stuff is harmless but I want to make sure.

It is but it's terribly unsightly! Are you able to lift it out of the water easily with the anubia on it? If so I would take it out, sit it in a sink with a couple papertowels under it and the stopper closed, and literally pour Hydrogen Peroxide 3% all over the wood (don't worry if some gets on the Anubia as it won't hurt it), then take the wet paper towels out and lay them over the wood to keep the Peroxide moist on the wood for 15-20 minutes. After that time is up remove the paper towels and place the wood back in your tank. The wood doesn't need to be rinsed either as the peroxide won't hurt the tank and will very quickly be broken down.

Driftwood Fungus

So, a few days ago I added a small piece of mopani driftwood to my tank. I boiled it for a half hour to get rid of tannins and any residuals. Well it looked great in the tank. This morning I looked at it and saw a clear to white slime mold on most of the wood.

I wasn't expecting something like this, as truth be told, this is my first real piece of driftwood. I've tied an anubias petite to it already, and I'm worried the slime coat may work itself on to it.

I've read that this stuff is harmless but I want to make sure.

Hello T...

The Mopani wood I've used didn't have any tannic acid in it. I rinsed it and put it directly into the tank. The boiling process likely soften the piece to the point that a fungus developed. But, don't fret, fungus will develop on most pieces of driftwood. I saw it on my pieces too and it was harmless.

I did get some Ramshorn snails and put a few of them in the tank. They made very short work of the fungus and within a week or so, the fungus was completely gone.

I'd recommend Ramshorn snails be included in the tank anyway. They're a superior "cleanup crew" and important to a healthy tank.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

I'm not sure I want to add snails to this tank, but thanks a lot for your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind for future builds.

River cats, the anubias should be fine wrapped in the towel as well correct?

So you're saying the anubias is completely safe near this mold?

River cats, the anubias should be fine wrapped in the towel as well correct?

It won't hurt it if its draped over it but it doesn't have to be unless there is mold already growing on it. I actually treat all my new incoming plants this way to kill any unwanted hitch hikers, algae, and other nasties.

The anubia is safe as in it won't die from the mold but the mold can spread onto it.

Back
Top Bottom