Is my black neon tetra pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is she (I believe it is a she) pregnant? She is the middle black neon.View attachment 239612
She has been hiding a lot more, and she is starting to get boxy around in her stomach area I believe, as she is way bigger than my other black neons.
View attachment 239613
She has been hiding around the Terracotta pot at the back of my tank behind the plant (and update to the last picture, there is now floating water sprite covering most of the tank)

Thanks!

Just noticed my pictures didn't work :(

Here is the first one

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402187360.155557.jpg

And here is the second one, she hides my the terracotta pot

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402187423.477209.jpg

found this thread in a search because my neon also seems to be pregnant... any help?

Hi glad you found my forum, when I posted this I was basically a newb when it came to tetras, and as I learned that they are egg layers not livebearers so you need a male tetra too and have never had a tetras lay eggs as far as I've noticed so you really have nothing to worry about :)

Here's some info I googled if your interested

http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/fish-breeding/breeding-tetras.aspx

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

Ha i am a newb and was wondering the same thing about mine! Good to know. I have 8 and have no clue how to tell male and female but not too worried. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They lay eggs. They are not live bearers. The chances are pretty slim in them laying eggs. They're extremely hard to breed (neons and cardinals)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom