Is my coral healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know if this is a torch or frogspawn coral, but whatever it is, is it healthy?

Attachments

• image-1119661603.jpg
    image-1119661603.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1609663554.jpg
    image-1609663554.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 144
It's hard to tell, looks like a frogspawn. Does each tip branch or is each one seperate? Hard to tell from this monitor at work or the picture itself. Either way, it doesnt look THAT great. Could be worse but it's not fully open. What type of lighting do you have and what are your paramaters? How long have you had it?

Have had it for 3 days. It has separate heads. Params are all in the safe zone. I have led lighting, 55x3w LEDs. It's at the bottom of my tank, does it need more flow and more light?

If each "tentacle" is seperate with no branching it most likely is a Torch Coral then. Euphyllia glabrescens. I placed mine towards the top and I have 4 T5's. LEd would be sufficient. Most torchs are placed bottom to mid from what I've researched and also just double checked on liveaquaria and it gives you a lot of information about it. The flow is medium flow. It looks bleached to me though, Id recommend to move it closer towards the top. How did you acclimate him?

That's what I thought at first, the same information is for the frogspawn as well. It should of opened a lot more then it already shows you but it may take a week or longer to open up fully when the lights are on.

I just moved him up closer to the lighting. I'll leave it there for now and I'll see what happens.

Attachments

• image-786441727.jpg
    image-786441727.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-944214121.jpg
    image-944214121.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 107
Let him float on the top for a bit, then drip acclimated him

Sounds to me you did everything correctly, I never had a frogspawn yet but I have a torch and a hammerhead. Both opened the same day I put them in the tank so I hope that maybe the frogspawn just needs a little more time to adjust. Hopefully someone else may chime in about this that may be of better assitance.

He seems to have elongated his tentacles more now, does that mean anything? It's my first coral so I don't really know that much about it

Yay :D I'll keep you updated on its progress, do I new to feed him? If so what? All I have is pellet food, frozen brine shrimp, flakes, and plankton (the plankton floats to the top) my fish nor my shrimp like it lol

Here's a pic

Attachments

• image-1610132638.jpg
    image-1610132638.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 81
The frogspawns like many corals gets the majority of its nutritional requirements from photosynthesis. So no feeding is necessary. Just make sure you invest in a reef test kit so you can check Calcium & Strontium etc.

The part laying on the rock its hard right? Its not squishy right? To me from the pic looks like a deflated nem.

My LFS does the tests for me, my lfs is like 5 minutes from my house so test kits aren't really a must! Yes I'm cheap :) and okay thank you

What do you mean by the part laying in the rock? The coral is on a small piece of rock, that is placed on other rocks

Back
Top Bottom