Is my fish sick, or just hyper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darthia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my Shubunkin Gregori for about 3 months now, he's in a 10 gallon tank alone now because his former tankmate Damien, a smaller Shubunkin, was nudging at him incessantly...so I seperated them 2 weeks ago.

For the past week or so, Gregori has begun having what I can only describe as "fits of activity" where he suddenly will start swimming around the tank like a crazed pinball for about 30-45 seconds...then start swimming normally again and/or continue his normal routine of searching the gravel for food. Gregori always has been very active since the day I bought him, but these fits are a new occurance and I'm afraid he may hurt himself...

I had read somewhere that fish dart around when they have parasites, so I have treated him twice with Parasite Cure, but he still acts this way...

does anyone have a clue what's going on with him? And I am planning to move them both from my dorm room at college to my house this afternoon...any suggestions on how to ease that transition would be helpful as well.

he seems to have one or two fits a day...either very early in the morning, or in the evenings...usually times when there is little light in the room.

maybe hes just enjoying the swiming space? What is the ammonia readings etc?

In that case, I would do a 50% water change just to ease my mind about ammonia levels. Does the tank have a filter, enough oxygen?

I don't think this is a parasite problem - the fish would be doing the darting & flashing all the time - not just a couple times a day. Also, unlikely to be water problem - again you would expect more constant behaviour. However, water change is a good idea if you are unsure of your problems or levels.

How big is the Shubunkin? It is spring, and darting around like that is normal mating behaviour (the nudging you saw before seperating the 2 fish may be mating behaviour too, plus, morning & early evening is right time for goldies to be doing it), although I am pretty sure you need a mate for that! :D So maybe he is seeing your other fish, or possibly a reflection? (Is it a HE? males more likely to be the "chaser").

Gregori is about 3 inches long minus tail...He does often "play" with his reflection...I dont think he can see the other fish because he(the other fish) is up on a shelf...I'm not sure if Gregori is male or female, I just say "he" merely for convienience.

Should I put them back together, or keep them seperated? I was concerned about the nudging because I thought Gregori was being overly stressed by it, Damien would attack him every chance he got, especially during feeding time.

3" is about half grown .. not sure if sexually active at that size yet ... see if you can spot some breeding stars - these are little bumps on the gill covers & sometimes along the front edge of the dorsal fin. My 9 month old Ryukin (also 3") just started spotting those. If you see the breeding stars, it is sign of a male, and also sexual maturity (& start of breeding season). Females will start getting fat (full of eggs) -- Gregori might well be a female, as it is usually the males that nudges the females.

I wouldn't put the fish back together. Breeding season will likely make the nudging, etc. worse. Normal breeding behaviour is fairly rough, and there really isn't enough space in a 10 for it (I've read in places that fish had been nudged out of the aquarium during courtship).

For now I would just watch & see how the fish are doing.

Back
Top Bottom