Is my neon tetra pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachgirl1992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:|Hi, I'm new at this. One of my neon tetras is kind of fat i'm not sure if it's pregnant or not. and if it is pregnant i don't have any males to fertilize the eggs it was like that when i got it it still swims with his group scales aren't coming off.I'll try to post a pic.:)

yea tetras dont get pregnant. Characins are egg layers. Post a pic, it may be overfeeding or worse, dropsy.

Try searching for bloated fish on these threads, but my experiance is that I've had a black skirt tetra who just one day was huge. Bloated like a swimming balloon, he's happy healthy (to my knowlage) and eating....been that way for over a year. Id say if he's acting normal you have nothing to worry about. Just my opinion though

It's extremely unlikely that your Neon Tetra is pregnant. Most people can't even breed them on purpose.

It might be dropsy or over feeding but also it could just be full of eggs. Nonetheless, they would be unfertilized meaning that it wouldn't be prego lol.

Back
Top Bottom