Is my new beta ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Java_moose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this guy from petssmart yesterday and put him in this (cycled) tank. The water parameters are ammonium 0 nitrIte 0 nitrate 5, it's at 78 degrees. He's been resting on the bottom basically the whole time. He ate one pellet last night and two at noon today. For a while last night he was going up to the surface, taking air and spitting bubbles out in the corner, is this bubble nesting? I've never had a beta before. Other than that, he has been really sluggish and sad looking, laying on things. His front fins seem kind of gimpy and weak. Is he just tired from living in a cup?

Here's a picture of his tank and of him

Attachments

• image-943302403.jpg
    image-943302403.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3782839873.jpg
    image-3782839873.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 63
he Just needs to time to adjust if, Water is fine and the Temp is fine. Its like a new puppy, just needs time to check things out. How is the current in the tank? If it moves too quickly he may be hiding from it.
Here is a link to a baffle.

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/

Do you have enough oxygen in the water? Any thing to create surface aggitation? Moving home is stressful but hes in a better place now and would hope he'll gets better soon.

My Oscar was more in the corner all the time and scared. I have no idea why you'res is presumably lazy. It might be very stressed, or just adapting. What i did was to leave the lights off for a day or two so he can explore the tank without being scared. It was very succesful. He plays around with my convict now:D

He's a pretty crown tail. As others have stated, check the filter flow it could be too much for him. The tank looks pretty big what size is it? Sometimes they take a few days to adjust so be patient with him & unfortunately it is possible to purchase an ill fish from Petsmart.

He's pretty new to the tank, so he's probably just a little freaked out. My little betta I put in a .75 gal tank (I know, not happy) and when he went in there, he looked so baffled by so much more space. I swear he had to have lived his whole life in that cup. Then when I moved him to a 3-gal, he had a minor panic attack from so much space. Your betta is probably just a little freaked out since he went from a tiny little cup with no room to play or be a betta to a huge home with all kinds of fun little things. Give him a few days, and you'll probably see him frolicking around the tank. Also, if he's blowing bubbles, it's a good thing. They do that when they're happy. Anything else, feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom