Is my swordtail sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have, among other things, 3 red velvet swords. 1 male and 2 female. One of the females has found a covered corner and is pretty much staying put. She is swimming at about a 40 to 45 degree angle, tail down-head up. She comes out at feedings then retreats back to the corner. Should I be concerned? Noticed last night.

How does she look? She might be getting ready to give birth they tend to hide I find before

Last night, it looked like she had something "hanging out" of her. Kind of a fine white thread type thing. She has gotten a bit bigger than the other female as well, but I can't tell if she's getting ready to have babies. She does appear to have a dark spot that has suddenly developed inside that you can only see when the light is on, kind of like an x-ray. But it is too far back I think for if to be babies.

From what you described I would say she is pregnant and also if she is housed with a male as you said i would guarantee she is pregnant. The hiding like that is a common sign she is close to giving birth, when my live bearers have given birth I've seen white poop almost just before she gave birth, that's probably what it is, once she has had them she should stop hiding, but if you want any fry to survive you will either need lots of hiding places or a breeder trap.
I would only get concerned if you can see something wrong or she stays like it for longer than a few days or so I guess, hope this helps

Fingers crossed, let me know how she goes :)

Well, the swordtail got better. Then, whatever was ailing her came back with a vengeance and I'm sad to say we lost her today.

Back
Top Bottom