Is my tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 55 gallon tank a couple weeks ago and had to completely start new. I replaced gravel and decor. I rinsed out all the filter media under tap water. A week ago, I filled it with water and added bacteria supplement. I also added 9 goldfish and 2 danios (I will be replacing goldfish and adding a few more danios). I have been checking the water chemistry everyday, and my pH is around 7.8, the ammonia levels are between 0-.25 ppm, my nitrites are at 0 ppm and my nitrates are somewhere between 40-50 ppm (water change?) my question is, is it possible that my tank is fully cycled after only a couple days?

A cycled tank will show 0 ammonia and nitrite, and some measurable amount of nitrate. Bacteria supplements can be hit or miss. You really ate better off to return all the fish and do a fishless cycle. The goldfish are a coldwater species where as the danio is tropical. They are not compatible tankmates. Someone is going to start stressing soon if they haven't already.

A cycled tank will show 0 ammonia and nitrite, and some measurable amount of nitrate. Bacteria supplements can be hit or miss. You really ate better off to return all the fish and do a fishless cycle. The goldfish are a coldwater species where as the danio is tropical. They are not compatible tankmates. Someone is going to start stressing soon if they haven't already.
The tank is at 74* which is good for the goldfish and only a little too cool for the danios. Tropical temps range from 74 to 82, and goldfish do best In 74*. Plus, I plan on returning the goldfish. But does that mean my tank is not cycled because of the small readings of ammonia? I've been getting the same readings now for a few days.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I bought a 55 gallon tank a couple weeks ago and had to completely start new. I replaced gravel and decor. I rinsed out all the filter media under tap water. A week ago, I filled it with water and added bacteria supplement. I also added 9 goldfish and 2 danios (I will be replacing goldfish and adding a few more danios). I have been checking the water chemistry everyday, and my pH is around 7.8, the ammonia levels are between 0-.25 ppm, my nitrites are at 0 ppm and my nitrates are somewhere between 40-50 ppm (water change?) my question is, is it possible that my tank is fully cycled after only a couple days?

Hello Hunter...

Tanks don't cycle in a couple of weeks. You have a trace of ammonia, so the nitrogen cycle has just started. At this point, you test the tank water daily and when a test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrite, you remove 25 percent of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water. The water change makes the water a bit safer for the fish and gives the growing bacteria something to feed on. You simply test daily and remove some of the tank water when needed. When you have several, daily tests that show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The process takes about a month.

B

Back
Top Bottom