is my tank over stocked? URGENT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have 6 zebra danios and 2 dwarf gouramis in a 20 gallon. is this overstocked?

Is it a 20g long? Either way, I don't think it's overstocked if you have good filtration and water params(i.e. well established/cycled tank) , but I looked at a couple sites that suggest a 10 gal min for both fish types. IMO you might fit a small bottom feeder or two to round out top/mid/bottom areas of your tank, maybe a few corries? Also, I am an advocate of live plants and the danios will appreciate somewhere to hide should the DG become cranky. Other far more knowledgable types are certain to be of more help I'm sure. And don't forget to breathe! :dance:

JoeBob said:
Is it a 20g long? Either way, I don't think it's overstocked if you have good filtration and water params(i.e. well established/cycled tank) , but I looked at a couple sites that suggest a 10 gal min for both fish types. IMO you might fit a small bottom feeder or two to round out top/mid/bottom areas of your tank, maybe a few corries? Also, I am an advocate of live plants and the danios will appreciate somewhere to hide should the DG become cranky. Other far more knowledgable types are certain to be of more help I'm sure. And don't forget to breathe! :dance:

Yeah i have some live plants. But im not sure what kind of plant is it.

orandafan12 said:
i have 6 zebra danios and 2 dwarf gouramis in a 20 gallon. is this overstocked?

That sounds like a great set up lots of room. Do u have two male gouramis? That might be a problem.

If it's a 20 long it's fine, but if it's a 20 high the danios really don't have enough swimming space. They need longer type tanks. I generally consider 29 the minimum for them, but a lightly stocked 20 long works too since it's the same footprint. Just be careful with two dwarf gourami's in a tank that size. As they mature, especially if they are both males, one may end up dominating the other.

If he is swimming/acting just fine now, then I wouldn't be worried. Anabantoids in general are just weird sometimes.

And have you sexed your gouramis? If you don't know how, you can always post up a picture.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
If he is swimming/acting just fine now, then I wouldn't be worried. Anabantoids in general are just weird sometimes.

And have you sexed your gouramis? If you don't know how, you can always post up a picture.

I think they are both male. How can you tell? They havent been fighting.

siva said:
If it's a 20 long it's fine, but if it's a 20 high the danios really don't have enough swimming space. They need longer type tanks. I generally consider 29 the minimum for them, but a lightly stocked 20 long works too since it's the same footprint. Just be careful with two dwarf gourami's in a tank that size. As they mature, especially if they are both males, one may end up dominating the other.

Its a high tank. They uavent been schooling alot either.

Also i would like to ask these plants to be id.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110903_234607.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110903_234607.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20110903_234635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110903_234635.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20110903_234658.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110903_234658.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 63
Just because they aren't fighting yet doesn't mean they won't. It will most likely occur in the morning and you will find nips.

Anyway, it's by the colors in these guys. Males are showy and colorful, the red and blue stripes. Females are more diluted and silvery. Most likely you have two males, I have rarely seen a female around. So, you will need to watch these guys carefully. They get territorial and do not like other males around, especially since they don't have a large group of females to distract them. I'm sure the danios will provoke more fighting too.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Just because they aren't fighting yet doesn't mean they won't. It will most likely occur in the morning and you will find nips.

Anyway, it's by the colors in these guys. Males are showy and colorful, the red and blue stripes. Females are more diluted and silvery. Most likely you have two males, I have rarely seen a female around. So, you will need to watch these guys carefully. They get territorial and do not like other males around, especially since they don't have a large group of females to distract them. I'm sure the danios will provoke more fighting too.

They are blue dwarf gouramis.

They are blue dwarf gouramis.
Yeah, you probably have 2 males. The crazy fish lady was telling you how to tell apart the genders of dg's. If they are a pretty blue, they are probably males. I agree that you may have problems in the future so keep an eye on them and you may have to re-home one. Fish stores almost always sell juvenile fish, so the behavior you see right now will not necessarily bo the behaviorthey exhibit forever. But hey, you can always get another tank (every fishkeeper's joy).;)

Back
Top Bottom