Is My Tank Overcrowded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anmp93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello:

I recently setup an aquarium after a 20 year absence, so have forgotten a few things!

I was curious if you guys/girls think my tank overcrowded. I will list the details below. Overall, the fish seem quite healthy and are vivacious eaters with plump stomachs. I notice however that they seem to be breathing a bit quick. Certainly not gasping/panting or spending all their time at the surface gulping, but seems to be a little bit quicker than I remembered.

Tank Details:

- Fish: 3 angels (2 about a silver dollar body size, 1 about a Quarter size)
6 clown loaches (about 2 inches each)
10 neon tetras
4 pygmy algae eaters
1 balloon ram
2 Odessa barbs
2 rainbow sharks

- 180L Juwel Rio (JUWEL® Aquarium | Rio 180 black)

- In addition to the above, I have a small Sicce Micron internal filter at the surface

- Water changes are 30-40% every 2-3 days

- Tank is about 5 weeks old and I use JBL products to add bacteria and remove toxins when doing changes

- The tank is heavily planted and I think adequate surface movement

- Temp around 26/27c

- Ive not done an ammonia test but have one of those in tank Ammonia Alerts which is showing a 'safe' reading.

I guess since they seem healthy and are active eaters, along with the ram seemingly ok, the tank is ok. I tend to feed them 2-3/times a day (flakes or frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms) and maybe a bit on the higher side as the fish are younger, but they eat everything and I'm doing active water changes/filter maintenance. But was just curious.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• fish tank.jpg
    fish tank.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 78
Welcome to AA.
Nice looking tank. Your stocking level sounds fine, IMO.
Just bear in mind that the loaches and sharks can/will eventually outgrow that tank as they both can get up to 6"+ in captivity.
you may also have to get rid of one of the angels if two form a pair.

sounds like you have the maintainece side of things handled well, so (y)

I like the back wall of the tank. Did you do that or did the set-up come with it?

The loaches will outgrow it, but very slowly,and the two sharks may fight when they are older. I would remove one of the sharks and get at least 3 more odessa barbs.

Swap the clown loaches for zebra loaches and you'll be all set. Clown loaches need at least a 500 liter tank. Zebra loaches max out at 4 inches.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The angels will eventually eat the neons. If the pygmy algae eaters are oto cats, the angels may try (and fail) to eat them too.

Welcome to AA.
Nice looking tank. Your stocking level sounds fine, IMO.
Just bear in mind that the loaches and sharks can/will eventually outgrow that tank as they both can get up to 6"+ in captivity.
you may also have to get rid of one of the angels if two form a pair.

sounds like you have the maintainece side of things handled well, so (y)

I like the back wall of the tank. Did you do that or did the set-up come with it?

I agree with the nice-looking part! This tank looks excellent!

Clown Loaches can get over a foot long, but that will take several years...

Depending on the dimensions of the tank, they should be fine for a year or two.

If those Angels pair, the third Angel will be in trouble...

Not exactly sure on the breathing thing; i jusg wanted to compliment your tank and point a bit out :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom