Is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55us gallon tank. In inhabitants are as follows:
-1 rainbow shark (I think, the one with all red fins)
-1 pictus catfish
-1 black ghost knife
-2 bala sharks
-1 dinosaur bichir
-5 black shirt tetras
-and 2 "algae eaters" one SAE and one CAE

I currently have no aggression issues and water quality stays good. I test with API freshwater master kit. All fish are currently juveniles and as they grow will be moved into a bigger tank. (contemplating between building a plywood or just buying a new tank). So is it overstocked?

Attachments

• image-3157990750.jpg
    image-3157990750.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 125
As of right now I wouldn't say you're over stocked but your fish will definitely need a larger tank as they grow. Also some of your fish belong in schools that if you did add the schools you would be over stocked

The only one I know belongs in schools that's not is the pictus catfish. As for the balas, my research told me they only prefer to school whole young

I am just curious as to what a plywood tanks is? i have heard the term multiple times and have always wondered what it means?

A plywood yank is literally made out of plywood with one glass side. To keep water in you use some sort of rubber or something. (I clearly have to so more research before building lol)

Ohsnapitscharity said:
A plywood yank is literally made out of plywood with one glass side. To keep water in you use some sort of rubber or something. (I clearly have to so more research before building lol)

ok that makes sense, cause i was thinking why the hell would a person make a tank out of plywood cause the whole point of a fishtank is to see your fish, but now it makes sense because of the one side of glass. Thanks!!!!

I don't think your tank is overstocked at all, not even close. The only thing is, when your bala and pictus grow...they really grow. If your concerned about the bio load, add some more low to medium light plants to your tank. They will filter your water, gobble up any ammonia and nitrogen. I currently have my show tank heavily planted, 30 neon tetras, 5 glowlights, 4 cherry barbs, 7 blue rams (5 female, 2 male) 5 serpae tetras, 5 lemon tetras, 3 large angels, 4 discus, 2 albino bushy nose plecos, 4 ottos, 3 mystery snails, 70 or so fish. My water quality is always perfect and i accredit that to my lush plants. It's an inexpensive investment that looks beautiful and is very helfpul

FishFanatic88 said:
ok that makes sense, cause i was thinking why the hell would a person make a tank out of plywood cause the whole point of a fishtank is to see your fish, but now it makes sense because of the one side of glass. Thanks!!!!

No problem :)

I don't think your tank is overstocked at all, not even close. The only thing is, when your bala and pictus grow...they really grow. If your concerned about the bio load, add some more low to medium light plants to your tank. They will filter your water, gobble up any ammonia and nitrogen. I currently have my show tank heavily planted, 30 neon tetras, 5 glowlights, 4 cherry barbs, 7 blue rams (5 female, 2 male) 5 serpae tetras, 5 lemon tetras, 3 large angels, 4 discus, 2 albino bushy nose plecos, 4 ottos, 3 mystery snails, 70 or so fish. My water quality is always perfect and i accredit that to my lush plants. It's an inexpensive investment that looks beautiful and is very helfpul

Im sorry but this is so wrong
This tank is over stocked or atleast will be. Also your tank is very overstocked and i can tell you your fish will be suffering. I cant tell you or force you to do anything im just saying that the fish dont have enough room. Think about being in an elevator with 20 people, its uncomfortable and no one wants to be in there, the fish are feeling the same way. Also plants dont convert Ammonia or Nitrite into nitrate, they use small amounts of nitrate but other than that do very little for the aquarium except oxegenate it.
As for the other tank i think re homing (if possible) the bala sharks because they get BIG! like around a foot long as for the other fish i think theyll be fine. Just a note the Black Ghost Knife (BGK) gets large around 12" so maybe upgrading when it startys getting large.
Also realy love the look of your tank :D

Im sorry but this is so wrong
This tank is over stocked or atleast will be. Also your tank is very overstocked and i can tell you your fish will be suffering. I cant tell you or force you to do anything im just saying that the fish dont have enough room. Think about being in an elevator with 20 people, its uncomfortable and no one wants to be in there, the fish are feeling the same way. Also plants dont convert Ammonia or Nitrite into nitrate, they use small amounts of nitrate but other than that do very little for the aquarium except oxegenate it.
As for the other tank i think re homing (if possible) the bala sharks because they get BIG! like around a foot long as for the other fish i think theyll be fine. Just a note the Black Ghost Knife (BGK) gets large around 12" so maybe upgrading when it startys getting large.
Also realy love the look of your tank :D

My fish have plenty of room, I successfully breed my gbr's, my angels spawn, my serpae tetras have attempted to spawn... fish don't do this if they're overcrowded and uncomfortable, fish spawn when they the conditions resemble their natural environment smart guy... No one said plants convert anything, plants eat ammonia and nitrates, thus help to filter the water smart guy...

My fish have plenty of room, I successfully breed my gbr's, my angels spawn, my serpae tetras have attempted to spawn... fish don't do this if they're overcrowded and uncomfortable, fish spawn when they the conditions resemble their natural environment smart guy... No one said plants convert anything, plants eat ammonia and nitrates, thus help to filter the water smart guy...
I may have made a mistake here, how large is your tank, i thought it was a 30gal. Apoligies
Also, plants dont "eat" Ammonia plants actually have no effect on ammonia thats what the biological matter in the filter does, they do use nitrates for growth though.

Last edited:
Manofmagnum said:

If all these fish are in a 55 it is over stocked. And the plants help with oxygen levels and use up done nitrates they don't do allot for ammonia or nitrites.

I agree with the idea that they are attractive and spruce up a tank tremendously but they do not help an over stocked tank if any thing it makes things worse on the fish because they have even less room to move.

Ohsnapitscharity said:
I have a 55us gallon tank. In inhabitants are as follows:
-1 rainbow shark (I think, the one with all red fins)
-1 pictus catfish
-1 black ghost knife
-2 bala sharks
-1 dinosaur bichir
-5 black shirt tetras
-and 2 "algae eaters" one SAE and one CAE

I currently have no aggression issues and water quality stays good. I test with API freshwater master kit. All fish are currently juveniles and as they grow will be moved into a bigger tank. (contemplating between building a plywood or just buying a new tank). So is it overstocked?

As of your fish should be ok but as they grow some will need a larger tank.
Your tank is beautiful, nice job on the decor

Look into the Walstad Method folks if you believe plants have no effect in a planted tank.

The idea behind the Walstad method is that you balance the Eco system with soil and plants and you don't need a filter to colonise BB due to the BB colonising on hard surfaces including plant leaves.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Jon

I don't think your tank is overstocked but it will be once all our fully grown :) I think you have a bit of time though before that happens ;)

Manofmagnum said:

Yes, like others have said, your tank is already overstocked, grossly. Plants do help, but only a little. I'm surprised that you don't have any aggression issues. What you have in that tank, I would put in a 100g. Even though i overstock my tank I know that their sizes will be okay and that I'll be moving them to other tanks. I would love to see pics of you discus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom